Cinder block stand help.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meaile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I have a 45 gal tank I would like to set up but I have no stand. I have read about the cinder block and 2x4 ideas but I'm wondering....

Would it would be safe to omit the 2x4's and have the tank sitting directly on top of the cinder blocks?

I was thinking of laying them " lllll "

Should I adhere them together or will their own weight and the weight of the tank keep them from shifting? (the floor is level)

I was also wondering about styrofoam insulation. If I were to place a sheet under the tank would it be under the glass only or the entire tank including the plastic rim? Any thickness suggestions?

I dont really need it to look pretty, just to support my tank.

Is you tank glass or acrylic? Either way, I'd make sure you have a nice level surface that has as much support as possible - figure between 8 and 9 lbs per gallon, plus the weight of rocks, the tank itself, ligting, etc. And keep the bottom of the tank on something "softer" thank the cinderblock - some 1x8s next to eachother, etc.

It is a glass tank. So, what I'm understanding so far is putting a row of 2x4's or 1x8's on top is so the tank sits on something softer than the cinder blocks... would a sheet of plywood or panneling (without grooves) be appropriate?

a good 3\8" sheet of plywood should be fine I would imagine. You may be able to use smaller, but I wouldn't personally recommend it.

This is true. I went down to the Home Depot today and they had a piece of countertop that looked like it would work. Probably better than strait plywood....

I don't really like the way you are stacking them. If you do them in the verticle orientation, a band around the outside to keep them from falling would be nice (perhaps a tiedown strap).

I would suggest laying them down the long way and stack them up like a brick wall 2 courses high. That would seem to be a more stable configuration.

The reason why I'm stacking them " lllll " is because I'm only using one row. I want to keep the tank close to the ground but not actually on it. Good suggestion if I go higher though. I like the tie strap idea....

This may be a dumb question but.... Are cinder blocks strong enough? I have never used them.

if you wanted to go el cheapo for the wood, just get 1/2" mdf with the white coating on it. that way its protected from water spills and way cheaper than plywood. Or you could put epoxy over plain mdf to waterproof it.
Cinder blocks should be plenty strong for your 45 gallon

For the longest time growing up in Idaho, my dad had a 55 gal on cinder blocks. He painted the blocks red and placed planks (probably 2x4's) on top of every other section to make it a shelf. The top was simple 3/8" pine plywood. It was sanded smooth, stained, and sealed. Through the 15-20 years it was up and all the water that had fallen on it, the board was still straight and level. If I remember right, he used four columns of cinder, stacked 6 high. As far as banding it together, we used nothing, but I think it would be a nice insurance policy.

I went with the white coated mdf idea. It was very inexpensive the total was around $15.00.
I have 3 rows of cinder blocks stacked 2 high with the mdf on top cut to 40 x 18. My tank measures 36 x 12 x 24.
I'm trying to keep it close to the ground so I can work with it and not have to climb on a chair to get in (I'm 5'2).
Thanks for the suggestions!

One last question.... is it safer to stack cinder blocks with the holes to the side or the holes on top or does it matter?

A piece of counter top should be stronger then just plain plywood and would look alot better IMO.

oops too late. I didnt see this second page... :oops:

The blocks stacked with the holes up would be stronger I would think.

The white coated 3/4 inch mdf looks pretty good as well as being water proof. I also got a bottle of satin white Rust-Oleum to paint the edges that don't have the coating so I'm sure it wont have water issues. I'm debating on painting the cinder blocks but I will eventually get a real stand so maybe not.

well i saw on this site this guy used cinder blocks and 2x4's
x=block _=2x4 -=empty space

okay

it was something like that like a cinder block flat, 2x4 another one and he fit like 8 10 gallons on it and the bottom shelf he stored stuff

Wow! Cool article.... It has my building blood flowing!

Should I put a piece of styrofoam between the board and the tank??? If so should it fit just under the glass part or should it stick out a little from under?

:p thanks again!

you can always edit :)

yeah i think you should. that will balance the tank if the stand/floor is lopsided

krap101 said:
yeah i think you should. that will balance the tank if the stand/floor is lopsided

I don't think styrofoam will be enough to "balance" or level the tank. It is great for making sure there are no pressure points on the tank from the stand, and for evenly distributing the weight accross the entire stand. It will also help absorb any vibrations from the floor.

If there is any issue with an uneven floor, you would need to use wooden shims.

Back
Top Bottom