Circle of life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im finding this really weird an depressing, i have like a circle of life thing going on in my tanks right now.

I have lost a huge amount of fish in the last month...

My african butterfly fish, my albino eureka peacock, three bolivian rams, my para pleco, and i just found my blenny from my slatwater tank on the ground this morning stiff as a board.

The peacock was a mysterious death, the bolivians all got their tails nipped of by my bichir in one night, and one died after the plecos ate him, the para pleco which ate the bolivians died mysteriously, but i am thinking it had something to do with the bolivians which had just come out of medicated QT.

The thing i'm finding weird is, my fish started to spawn like crazy once all these fish started to die. I have had my goldfish spawn, my apistos spawn, my multies spawn and my platies have babies.

Am i not allowed to keep the old fish if new ones come into the world? sheesh,

What are your thoughts on this. Coinsidence obviously... but its so weird, all of these fish have never even spawned before... why now that the others are dieing. Wierd, huh?

I'm guessing this is largely happening in your 50 gallon set up...correct? The spawns to the die offs may be coincidental. It is a good time of year right now for fish spawning. If not coincidental, perhaps the babies of the spawns may be causing changes in water quality.

How are the water parameters of the tanks that are experiencing deaths? Please post numbers if you can of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. I'll be happy to assess the test results for you. Always want to rule in (or rule out) water quality issues before tapping into other possibilities for the die offs.

Please note: The bicher is a danger to your other fish. He should go into a tank for just him (or her : ). They are hefty predators and will eat anything they can over power...even fish that are much bigger than they are. I remember a customer who had brought in his ornate bicher after it took down three nearly full grown monos. Quite impressive.

Back
Top Bottom