Classic Angelfish: Where to Find?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bottom feeder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm having trouble finding angelfish that look like the ones I had 20 years ago. At the risk of divulging my ignorance on the subject, the angelfish I'm looking for are of two varieties. One is the classic silver body with dark vertical stripes (my old one had very long ventral fins with yellow and blue hints). The other is jet black with red eyes. I absolutely adored these angels, and to be honest have not found anything as attractive or elegant in the various lfs I've checked.

Anyone know how to go about obtaining these types of angels, or other info that would set me in the right direction?

The sliver with black stripes would be the Altum angel, and they are difficult to come by now days. The black with red eyes I dont know if I have ever seen... hmmm. You might want to try and look for private breeders though. I would think in a place like San Diego there would be quite a few.

You are either talking about altums or silver/black scalare. I've got some nice silver/black scalare but they are too large to ship (well over dollar body size). Your best bet for altums, if that is in fact what you are looking for, would be Dan of Gulf Coast Discus. He occasionally gets in wild peruvian altums, along with wild discus such as heckels. Here is a link to his website: houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

This is a picture of the Peruvian Altums he had a while back (November I think). I'd email him about exactly what you are looking for as I see he has black angels for sale listed on his website. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to send you pics of what he has available. He's a nice guy and you can trust him. He's one of the sponsors for www.simplydiscus.com/forum and can be trusted.
img_942867_0_2bc0216ff2f5e4dc74c0cc7217d07389.jpg

I believe classic refers to the original look, which would be altums or silver/blacks. The half blacks came later.

Back
Top Bottom