Clay flower pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i had got a flower pot from the store.. to see if my fish could spawn on there.... Saves me removing the filter if they decided to spawn again.
Thing is i know u can put clay in an aquarium.But i want to know how to test it and see if its actually safe before i go putting it in there.
Thanks in advance

It it is a regular brand new, terra cotta pot, don't worry about it it will be fine. If you want to double check leave it in a bucket of water for a few weeks and see if any of the parameters of the water in the bucket change. I would not add any kind of painted ceramics.

when i took ceramics class, clay is almost always safe once fired, the only real problem would be if there was lead based paint. which im doubting.

i cant say that putting a clay peice in a bucket to test, would change the params. chances are the params will change on their own in a couple of weeks anyways, the only real threat clay may have on an aquarium is poisoning (i wouldnt worry about it)

As long as it's the plain ones and nothing painted some funky color, it's fine. I use them in my tanks as shelter for my Kuhli Loaches. It's been in there for a few months with zero problems.

Have fun trying to drill them (if you are). I shattered two drill bits and gave up. Got the trusty hammer out. ;)

Should be fine, Ky'smommy. I've used clay pots in some of my tanks in the past with no issues. Like others said, just make sure you choose the plain terra cotta pots just to be safe. If you want, you can break the pots with a hammer and use a Dremel to smooth the edges.

Back
Top Bottom