Clean out QT tank from Copper meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Have a 46G bowfront tank I just got done using for QT. Had copper based meds in it and I want to clean it out and make it safe for all other fish, especially inverts.

It has a AC 110 on it and a covering of Eco-Complete. Just enough to cover the reflection of the bottom of the tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Prime is a binder of heavy metals could a scrubdown of the tank with a sponge of prime after cleaning water and stuff out work?

Soak substrate in 25% Prime water a few times? - Throw out all together or clean and Prime and only use for QT purposes in non sensitive inhabitants?

Would like to have inverts of all kinds to be safe.

The filter - how to tackle that? Throw out media. Then what?

I will clean out the tank like a normal clean up first of course.

Questions to address

1. Tank clean?

2. Substrate?

3. Filter?

Can't you just throw some cuprisorb in the filter?

If I understand correctly, copper can be absorbed by the silicone sealants and then released over time leading to problems with inverts down the road But if you just run cuprisorb in the filter for a while it would absorb any copper that might leeching back into the tank.

Well I had never heard of that until now. I like the idea - called a local store and they don't carry it but did find I can get it online.

Do you have any idea how long to run this in the tank? It is 2.1 oz. or 100ml.

Last edited:
Can't you just throw some cuprisorb in the filter?

If I understand correctly, copper can be absorbed by the silicone sealants and then released over time leading to problems with inverts down the road But if you just run cuprisorb in the filter for a while it would absorb any copper that might leeching back into the tank.
^+1 this^
Being you are only removing traces hopefully a single pack 100ml should last you months if not longer IMO.

Many say the Cu will never completely leach out and is just another reason why many suggest never using Cu anywhere besides a hospital tank.
Good luck and let us know how this works out.
Cuprisorb is basically for marine/reef aquaria where copper removal is extremely important so I really think in your application you should be fine.

Will do on letting everyone know how t works. I will order it this week and it seems like it needs to run awhile, it was a med that wasn't the strongest amount of copper but it said snails may be alright, ha! Have a pile of dead MTS shells at the bottom of the tank presently. Can't say if there are actually any left alive, but I doubt it.

Should I drain the tank going this route and refill or just run it like it is. It still has the heater and extra bubbler on it, as well.

Should I drain the tank going this route and refill or just run it like it is. It still has the heater and extra bubbler on it, as well.

IMO running it with all clean water will improve the effect of the cuprisorb and speed the removal of most cu.
Being a chemical media it should remain in the filter until you feel exhausted.
Without a Cu test kit there will be no way to know where the levels if any ever are.
I would for the cost just plan on running a total of 2-4 packs coninuos for the next year....
I always recommend that no one uses copper meds with out a test kit to verify levels, but if you don't have one I suggest you skip it as they are a harder to read color test then most(clear to yellow,biege,brown).

I might get one to find this out. It is possible there is one in the closet, can't remember if one came with a big box of stuff I was given. Otherwise I will have the lfs test after a month or so of running it.

Thanks for the assistance.

Was a poor choice to use it. I thought it over for a couple days, but after seeing so many fish dying I was willng to do whatever I could.

Back
Top Bottom