Clean tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloefinn2003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Just done a 60% water change and gravel clean as suggested by a member to help with getting rid of black beard algae. I also got rid of a few dead plants and cut away the worst of the plants with the algae on it.

Although the tank looks slightly bare it's surprised me how dirty the gravel was because I do a weekly 20% water change.

Has anyone got any ideas on what else I could try to help get rid of the remaining algae?

I'm going to get done new plants to improve the bareness. Any suggestions ??

Cheers

You could up the changes to 50%, and even more to help out with the algae. Also cut the lights back to 8 hours a day. What other plants do you have? What kind of light do you have? Do you have co2?

Hi. I don't have c02 it's the next thing if like to work out. I got the tank second hand and the gravel already had the 'bits' in it according to the previous owner. I will look up the plants and let u no. I do have some bulbs which my lfs suggested.

Do u think 50% weekly is a good idea then. I have
4 albino Cory's
1 hillstream
2 Chinese Golden algae eater
2 silver dollars
3 black eyed barbs
4 fan tail guppies
5 zebra barbs
4 Goldern tetras
1 neon tetra
1 Siamese fighting fish

Thanks x

You can treat the algae with peroxide. Get a syringe and suck up 3 ml of peroxide and slowly squirt it on the algae. Make sure to turn the filter off for 15 minutes. I have done as much as three syringe fulls at a time in a 10 gallon tank with no problem. It is suggested to do no more than one treatment at a time but I pushed it. The peroxide will kill the algae. It will turn brown or white and then fall off the plant. My snails ate the dead algae off.

That's a good idea. I cut the worst bit off. And washed the plants. Peroxide worries me. Do u just put it in the tank then?

I have never had the peroxide cause any problems. It just release a lot of oxygen in the tank. Yes you squirt it in the tank right on the affected plants. Turn the filter off, hold the syringe on top of the plant with algae, and squirt. You will see tiny bubbles come off of the algae. Wait 15 minutes and turn the filter on. The peroxide will be gone in no time. You can do one 3 ml syringe full a day if you have a large area to treat. Best way to get rid of it while you correct the problem that caused it.

As long as your filter media is established with benifical bacteria, you can do 90% changes, it dosnet hurt anything. What size is the tank and what filter do you have?

My tank is 48gallons/180 litres. I have a pond solutions 200l external filter bit have a small internal one. It's my back up as the best one broke today. I'd quite like to only gave the external one though.

Ok so you seem good for size and filtration. But you should do larger changes if you are having algae problems.

Ok thanks for this. Do u think I could get rid of the internal filter. My lfs said that there's a lot of problems with phosphates in the water where I am. He gave me some bags to put in my filter to help with it. Sorry about all the questions I'm a novice!!

I've got a API test kit. My ph is 7.5 always has been. That's one worry I don't have !

As long as your filter media is established with benifical bacteria, you can do 90% changes, it dosnet hurt anything. What size is the tank and what filter do you have?

I would recommend against any water changes above 50% there is a difference in ph between fresh tap water and water that's been sitting out and this can cause stress / shock to your fish.

What light do you have in this tank?

I would recommend against any water changes above 50% there is a difference in ph between fresh tap water and water that's been sitting out and this can cause stress / shock to your fish.

What light do you have in this tank?

My tap water is the same pH as the water in both of my tanks. Maybe .1 or .2 off here and there but nothing more then that. I was under the imspression that is was like that for everyone. Unless you have really high nitrites , nitrates or ammonia your pH shouldnt move around.

My tap water is the same pH as the water in both of my tanks. Maybe .1 or .2 off here and there but nothing more then that. I was under the imspression that is was like that for everyone. Unless you have really high nitrites , nitrates or ammonia your pH shouldnt move around.

Yours may be but the vast majority of people aren't in the same situation as you. Mine is .5 higher straight out of the tap for example.

Back
Top Bottom