Clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is a clean up crew really necessary if I'm doing weekly 50% water changes or 2 25% water changes a week? Don't clean up crews just create more of a mess than they clean up as they poop as well creating more detritus?

Clean up crews are in no way necessary, and it's true that they physically add to the bioload, but they also can be extremely beneficial. Clean up crews aren't just algae eaters like plecos (who are notorious water polluters). These include things like shrimp and bottom feeders which don't tend to add much to the bioload and also, clean the waste of the fish and rotting food. This is why clean up crews don't add much to the load, they clean their mess and the mess of others which equals up or far outdoes the mess they create. As long as you're diligent with cleaning and ensure there's not much rotting food in the tank, you'll be fine without them!

Clean up crews are in no way necessary, and it's true that they physically add to the bioload, but they also can be extremely beneficial. Clean up crews aren't just algae eaters like plecos (who are notorious water polluters). These include things like shrimp and bottom feeders which don't tend to add much to the bioload and also, clean the waste of the fish and rotting food. This is why clean up crews don't add much to the load, they clean their mess and the mess of others which equals up or far outdoes the mess they create. As long as you're diligent with cleaning and ensure there's not much rotting food in the tank, you'll be fine without them!

I have a horseface loach. Is that good enough along with my twice a week water changes?

I wouldn't say they are necessary or needed. but they can help you out.
if you have a planted tank some will eat algae off your plants and won't rip them apart like you would if you tried to do it yourself. some eat dead plant matter so you don't have to look at dead or dying leaves (even healthy plants shed leaves sometimes) until you clean them up yourself.

They can clean up some of your decor and your glass which means less work for you.
some sift the substrate meaning that are releasing some of the gas build up that can build up and be dangerous.

Plus they are ust another excuse to add more to your tank haha

Hi Anna-
I think you're good with what you have. I wouldn't recommend adding anything else to your tank at the moment. Even though some clean up crew critters have small bioloads, your tank could suffer from even just a tad more detritus than the bacteria can handle. If I'm correct, you mentioned in another thread that it recently encountered problems with the nitrogen cycle. This is a sign that adding more fish or invertebrates is not a good idea.
If you really want more fish or animals, please keep in mind that multiple experienced fish keepers have told you the only option is to rehome some of your existing fish or upgrade your tank. Asking the same question multiple times in different ways and ignoring the answers you receive does not change the fact that your tank is overstocked.
For the sake of your fish, please realize that we are not criticizing you or putting you down when we say this. We are simply trying to help you and your fish have the healthiest tank possible. Choosing to go against sound advice might work for a while, but it's not worth it to gamble with the lives of every one of the fish you own.
I say this in the kindest way possible; I only want to help you. Please consider what I and other members of this forum have tried to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom