Cleaned filter with tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austrent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Do regular water changes and have for the most part healthy fish. I have had my tank set up for for 7 months. 3 days ago I did a clean out of the internal filter parts. I was careful to rinse all peices in tank water and I only swished the water round on the parts to get the large bits of algae off. It's been a few days and my tank is a little foggy! Nothing too bad- I have seen it worse. I have been reading online. Could my clean have destroyed all the bacteria and have I caused new tank syndrome? My fish look healthy and are eating should I be worried?

It sounds like a bacteria bloom. It can happen when the tanks over cleaned and will clear on its own. Nothing to worry about but you'll need to keep a close eye on your parameters.

Thanks mumma of 2! I was a little worried- my filter was a lil sluggish and was full of algae and stuff. It is much better now. All good to hear! It looks a bloom- very fine particles suspended in the water! ;-) hope it clears soon

There really isn't any reason to get a bacterial bloom from water change and filter cleaning. the nitrifying bacteria isn't easily removed from the filter substrate, as it is basically glued on. Getting the solid material out, allows the bacteria to do their job better. The solid material trapped in the filter, is not consumed by the nitrifying bacteria, but impedes their ability to get oxygen from the water flow. So, removing the solid crud before it can be broken down by heterotrophic bacteria, will result in a slower rise in nitrates.
A filter that is getting clogged will do a better job of removing fine particles than a clean one (in general terms) and this is what may be seen here. A bacterial bllom is not visible other then as a haze; you can't see the bacteria themselves as they are too small.

Last edited:
Thanks billd- I had never thought of it like that! I'll keep an eye out- hopefully after a few days it should clear its self

i had same problem about a month ago added some plant life and a piece of micron filter to catch some of that free floating stuff now all better took about 4 days or so but all is fine

Back
Top Bottom