cleaned my filters/shrimp condos today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So....I've had alot of shrimp in my filters before but today I hit the jackpot!!

Over 100 shrimp between the two canisters. 8O

filter-shrimp1.jpg

filter-shrimp2.jpg

filter-shrimp3.jpg

I sat and counted my shrimp yesterday. I thought I had four, turns out they doubled, I have eight.

are those cherry shrimp? I can't seem to find them around here. My kids really like the ones they have seen in the pictures around here. I wish i could find some locally.

Geez! What a bounty. So far all I find in my filter is pond snails...

mom2reds: Check out AquaBid; you can get a dozen or so for a reasonable amount. They ship well and can usually go Priority Mail. They are worth it-lovely, fun to watch, make more of themselves, live in canister filters (apparently.)

Haha that's awesome! I hear reports of people finding shrimp in the canister filters all the time. From the lowly Ghost to the insanely expensive CRS.

still how do they survive not getting whipped around in the impeller of a canister filter or trapped in the strong current??? it amazes me, well actualyl how do they even get in there to begin with?? if they go through the intake line they would get chopped up right? and the output would be to strong a current I would think

Nice find Glitch! I guess I have been doing it wrong, all I need to do is get a canister filter and let them live in there to get lots of them!

I would bet that the eggs from the shrimp get pulled in to the filter and don't get damaged and hatch in there where they just go wild on all the fine particles chopped up by the filter and in the media.

tropicfishman said:
me 2, how do they not get shredded in the canister filter?

I use Eheim 2215 canisters.
The impeller is on the way out of the canister, so they never come close to it.
The female holds the eggs until they hatch.....the shrimplets aren't much bigger than the eggs so they get sucked right into the filter inlet.
I could put a prefilter on the canisters in the 92G but I think it makes cleaning the filter more interesting. :D
My 20G shrimp tank however, has a prefilter made from pantyhose.
There would be just far far to many shrimp in that filter if I didn't use a prefilter.

hc8719 said:
wow glitch, how many did you orginally put in?

I started about 6 months ago with 50 shrimp. There are lots of hiding places for these little guys, so even though my GBR's have developed a taste for the shrimplets, I will always have tons of shrimp in this tank.

lovemybarbs said:
What do you do with them? Are they big enough or are they fish food?

I have been putting them in my 20G shrimp breeding tank.
Waiting for the population in there to become great enough to start selling them.
As things are now.......I've believe I've reached my goal. :)
The pictures are of the shrimp waiting to be released into the breeding tank.

mom2reds said:
are those cherry shrimp? I can't seem to find them around here. My kids really like the ones they have seen in the pictures around here. I wish i could find some locally.

Yep......Red Cherry's....what's local for you?
If you're interested and live close enough.
I've got quite a few that I have to get rid of.
I currently only have 40hour heat packs and can only take non cc paypal.
The paypal situation will soon change though.

Back
Top Bottom