Cleaning a coffee container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to trap some snails, but I am afraid to use soda bottles, because of the glue. Is the glue safe? If not, I have a coffee container I want to use, but I can't get rid of the coffee smell, which worries me what is actually making the smell. I have the container soaking in water right now. Any other advice or maybe I'm worrying too much.

I've used soda bottles to make shell-dwelling cichlid removers and have never noticed any problems. I just removed the labels and rinsed well before using. I can't imagine a well rinsed coffee container would pose any problems either. It's just coffee and not anything toxic.

I see no problem with the soda bottle if it's well rinsed inside and out. Plastic milk containers (rinsed) would work too. I would avoid metal coffee containers, but plastic or glass ones could be rinsed and used.

I design a pretty poor trap apparently. I punched holes into the lid of the container and placed food in it. I actually put straws down into the holes to make it harder for the snails to get back out. I think the straws are too small. I'm going to go with larger straws. For those of you that have ever had the tapioca drinks, the straws for those are probably three times as wide as normal straws. That should make the trap better hopefully.

A 20 oz soda bottle, cut off the top 1/3, and stick it into the bottom piece. Just place the neck of the bottle facing in to make a funnel.

All you really need to do is put some fresh green veggies (lettuce, spinach, zucchini, etc) in the container and wait till night when snails do most of their foraging. Then, you simply remove the container and dump the snail infested bait. Do this for a couple of consecutive days, and the snail population will crash.

Back
Top Bottom