Cleaning a Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 100 ft Python and I have noticed that black spots have formed in the hose in spots. I am thinking it is mildew. I cannot get to it to clean it out, the hose is too long for that. I have tried to run hot water through the hose to clean it. That did not work. Anyone else see this happening to them? Is mildew harmful to fish?

I wouldn't sweat it at all..
Might mean you aren't doing frequent enough water changes though.. Haha!

To get the rest of the water out of the hose, run it for a few seconds with the end out of a tank. I have a 50' one and have been using for 6 years and no mildew.

I had a Python for a couple of years and I do not recall having that kind of issue. Right now I use a Aqueon knock off, and I have noticed any black spots.

It's nothing to worry about, as long as you run hot water through it before and after each use.

I remember getting mildew in my hand siphons years ago, I think the frequency of PWC that I'm doing now prevents this. I have a 50' Python and after the fill, I 'walk' the water out 2-3 times to make sure to get as much out as possible, then coil it up and store it in a 14g rubbermaid tub. I use it at least once every 10 days if that helps. I don't run hot water before 'walking', just tank temp water form the tap.

Thanks for all the help. I use it every week to do water changes and I drain it as much as possible, but there is always a few drops. I tried running Hot water through it, but it will not go away. I might try the H2O2.

I use mine a few times a week and have never got any mildew, strange. Maybe I do too many water changes LOL.

That happened to mine old syphon. Just replace the tube, Home depot sells the same tubing, you can get like 20 or 25 feet for 6 bucks. I replaced my syphon hose, AND he made like a 50 foot one that hooks to the sink so I can refill. Now I just syphon it out the window! (Great for outdoor plants too btw) All for about 20 bucks or so! :)

I've never experienced this issue, but I seem to remember somebody having this same problem on here a while back. Various methods were tried with no success. I just don't see how it can happen. If both ends are left open, the hose is drained as good as possible, seems like it would all evap out after a few days.

Thanks Mary. I will have to go get some hose.

@ Johnathan. I think the long length of the hose restricts the water drops from evaporating. It's funny because my tanks evaporate by at least an inch every week in-between water changes.

Back
Top Bottom