Cleaning a ton of rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have alot of rocks that i got from someone used. They are filthy full of algae and waste, but way to many to throw away. What is a safe way to clean them? Any safe products to soak them in?

I agree with giants , don't use chemicals if you don't absolutely have too , use hot water and buy a toothbrush or a algae scraper for your glass , these will work wonders for cleaning of rocks .

+1 for using a toothbrush and warm water it's a really good way to clean rocks

I used chlorine tablets, warm water and a scrubbing brush. Once done i left to soak in a bucket of water with a generous amount of de chlorinator.

Do not think about boiling them as there is the risk for them to explode.

also could get a rift maker , so that it's hard for stuff to settle , and the filters can pick it up .

Perhaps running water over them while agitating with a trowel or other instrument.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping there was a quick fix.... Apparently I have to use some elbow grease.

Yep, scrubbing them off is plenty unless they are porous. If they are porous, ask yourself if you really want to do this every six months. If yes, bleach them with plain bleach and then soak with dechlorinator. Or, use hydrogen peroxide and just rinse afterward.

Hey, if you have a pressure washer, skip any detergents but go right ahead with the blasting. I'd probably hand the kids buckets and brushes and let them play.

Back
Top Bottom