Cleaning algae off acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
How should I go about scraping hair algae off of an 8 g cylindrical acrylic tank? Any tips on how to not grow it to begin with? The tank is planted and just has a few nano fish. I don't usually add forts but I do have almost the whole Seachem line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a credit card to scrape green spot algae off my tank, followed by a water change.

how long do you keep the lights on?

Light times vary from whenever someone gets up to whenever someone goes to bed plus some natural light. So I am guessing that is way too much light? I have a plant bulb on it and then there are cheap LED's built into the tank. I just shut off the plant light. I'm thinking if I cut back on that the algae will get better. I hope!

Light times vary from whenever someone gets up to whenever someone goes to bed plus some natural light. So I am guessing that is way too much light? I have a plant bulb on it and then there are cheap LED's built into the tank. I just shut off the plant light. I'm thinking if I cut back on that the algae will get better. I hope!

It would not hurt to cut back and gain some consistency on the light schedule. Put it on a timer for 6-8 hours.

one also thing you can do is have a "siesta" period. You can have 4 hrs of light followed by 2 hrs off and then 4 hrs on again. Apparently this doesn't bother plants but algae doesn't like it. I prefer this, because I'm usually out in the day, but home in the evening and that's when I enjoy my plants the most :)

I did the same thing with the same problem until I bought a digital timer for $10 at Walmart and have the siesta system going. It's also great because when I go away and have people look after my tank theres consistent lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom