Cleaning an old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm so excited. My husband bought me a 55g tank including the stand, 2 filters, heater,hoods, lights,and other random stuff off of Craigslist for $75! It's still in great shape with no damage at all. However it is covered in left over salt and about a year of dust. What do you recommend I do and use to clean it and the equipment? I'm going to make it a FW. Thanks for any help: I'm at a loss!!

I used salt and warm water and a brand new sponge after I had let mine sit for two years I filled it up afterwards a little at a time and vacuumed my rocks around five times once I was convinced it was clean enough a did another rinse in warm water to make sure my small amount of salt was gone.

Cleaning should be with water ONLY and a small amount of bleach. About 10 parts water to 1 part bleach ( or even less). Make sure you scrub everything good(if it is acrylic then don't use harsh scrubber) and then rinse several times to get rid of all bleach in tank. I make sure I can't smell anymore bleach in tank. Use rubber gloves so the bleach doesn't transfer from your hands to the glass. Any rocks or gravel should be boiled in water for 10 minutes being care not to boil fake plants as the glue holing them to the bases will melt and create a huge mess. I also heat up water to boiling, turn it off and dip the old filter system in it to remove/kill anything left over from the other tanks owners. You never know why they got rid of the tank, maybe lost interest or lost fish due to some kinda diesese. I go to the extreme of running the filter using the boiled water to get into all of the nooks and crannies of the filter for awhile. Be sure to purchase chemicals to remove any chlorine from the water before putting it into the new tank and for helping to cycle the tank before introducing any fish to it. Hope this helps a little bit. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of great people here to help you out. PS clean heater as well. Good luck on the new tank!!!

kdklovesfish said:
I'm so excited. My husband bought me a 55g tank including the stand, 2 filters, heater,hoods, lights,and other random stuff off of Craigslist for $75! It's still in great shape with no damage at all. However it is covered in left over salt and about a year of dust. What do you recommend I do and use to clean it and the equipment? I'm going to make it a FW. Thanks for any help: I'm at a loss!!

Vinegar is also a good way to go i used plain vinegar on my 5g i got free used only a little worked great just rinse real well afterwards either way works really

Vinegar is also a good way to go i used plain vinegar on my 5g i got free used only a little worked great just rinse real well afterwards either way works really
Yep either way will work, I just believe in bleach to really deep clean, but I'm a freak!!!

If it has water deposits/stains (calcium, lime, etc) on the glass/equipment, use plain white vinegar and some elbow grease to remove them. Rinse very well. Bleach wont remove these type of stains but it will disinfect. After sitting empty for year (or longer) I doubt disinfection is really necessary here. Just dont mix vinegar and bleach. :)

jlk said:
If it has water deposits/stains (calcium, lime, etc) on the glass/equipment, use plain white vinegar and some elbow grease to remove them. Rinse very well. Bleach wont remove these type of stains but it will disinfect. After sitting empty for year (or longer) I doubt disinfection is really necessary here. Just dont mix vinegar and bleach. :)

+1 agreed

A razor blade will scrape any old algae or water stains off of the glass. When I cleaned my 55 gal I used vinegar and water. After I rinsed it all really well I used a bleach and water solution to disinfect everything and rinsed it all really well. Also, find a nice flat surface outside to so you can fill the tank completely and make sure there are no leaks anywhere.

It's an incredibly satisfying feeling cleaning up an old ugly unwanted tank and making it beautiful and full of life again. :)

Warm water, or white vinegar are your best cleaning options. Use paper towels, filter media/floss, or a sponge specifically made for aquariums only, as household/dish sponges and the like will have been treated with chemicals that can endanger your fish

Sorry! Ive been super busy lately and just now got to finish cleaning it. Boy that was a ton of work!!! There was algae everywhere! It looks great and holds water. Hopefully tomorrow will be less windy and I can spray paint the back.

Decorated the tank tonight and filled 'er up. :) I can't wait until it clears up enough for me to show it off!!

I bought a few fish already and have them in my 15g. So far I have a Rainbow Shark, a Long fin African Pleco, two dwarf gouramis, and three cories that are for sure going into the 55g. I also have 7 adult Platys, tons of fry and assorted shrimp. I'm debating what else to put into the 55g. I'm thinking all the adult Platys and the big enough fry going into the 55. (I have a fry tank for the tiny ones to grow in.) that would allow me to get guppies for my 15g. I want to get three more cories for the 55g, plus another three for my 15. Other than that, I'm open. Have any suggestions? I know Rainbow Sharks are suppost to be aggressive, but mine doesn't seem to be.

Here it is!! The hole on the left will have another piece of dw after it arrives in the mail. I can't wait to add my fish!!!

image-188965352.jpg

And I think I've decided on stock!

55g:
2 male Gouramis
Rainbow Shark
African Spotted Highfin Pleco
Horsefaced Loach
3 Yoyo Loaches
6 Platys

15g:
6 Cories
10-15 Platy fry