cleaning an old used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to set up this 55 gallon I got yesterday off of CL, there is a calcium build up on the glass, what is the best way to get it off? It's really stuck on there good :(

You don't even have to dilute the vinegar. If the build up is really bad, soak a paper towel with vinegar and lay it on the affected area for 20 minutes or so. It should wipe right off. HN1 and I have cleaned old crusty coralline off of acrylic that way- it works so well we didn't even need to scrape and scratch that acrylic.

Rinse well when you're done. :)

Great! Thanks so much! I've never had to deal with this much build up on a tank before, so I was kind of clueless :/

I got my 55 off CL as well. It took a whole bunch of elbow grease to get mine clean but i used vinegar and a razor blade and after rinsed with warm water, but be careful not to cut yourself or scratch the glass

How to Clean an Old Glass Aquarium with Vinegar and a Razor Blade | eHow.com

I think they sell plastic razor blades too, not sure if they are only for acrylic or if they can be used with glass also. I just used a few metal ones tho

Back
Top Bottom