Cleaning filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keds195

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi my tank is now cycled has been for about a week now. I was wondering if I should clean my filter out now or will it disrupt the tank? Also is it ok to take the whole thing apart and rinse in the tank water or (sorry if this sounds a bit naive) will it remove all the good bacteria I've spent 2 months building up?

I wouldn't touch it yet unless you have to -- is the flow being disrupted? Do you think it's clogged? I think I waited a month after my cycle to touch my filters (although I was paranoid!). A week isn't long, I'd wait a few more and then you can start cleaningit out monthly in old tank water when you do a water change.

What kind of filter & what is the filter media? I personally wouldn't take the whole thing apart & I'd probably wait a little while longer. If your filter has a cartridge I'd look at replacing it with sponge, the filter cartridges will eventually drive you crazy with how quickly they fall apart, if that's not what you have ignore that last bit.:)

Back
Top Bottom