Cleaning Filter pad/hurting cycle Please reply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i have a 10 gallon fish tank
1 Betta
3 Zebra Danios
4 neon Tetra

I was cleaning my tank and I noticed my filter pad was really dirty every time I moved it it spit debris into my tank did a partial water change as I always do on Sundays and I cleaned the filter pad in the dirty tan water will this hurt my cycle at all the filter pad is almost white now so will this hurt my cycle?

015905060806C.jpg

Thats my filter I only have one pad

if you rinsed it in the water you took out of the tank, then no, shouldnt hurt it. if you had rinsed it in tap water, you would have more concern

Well I cleaned my tank out with a gravel vacum then I decided to clean my filter,but I already filled my tank with fresh conditioned water so then I too out the gravel vac again and took out alittle water and cleaned the filter pad with that and the water was almost black I have never cleaned that pad since I got it which was about January so it was dirty so should I be worried?
The tanks a bit foggy I don't know why. I'm just worried.

Is it a sponge or that white filter floss? Cause if its the white filter floss, you need to change that about once a month, cause it doesn't clean out like sponges do.

Your situation sounds similiar to mine say, that you have a 10 gallon tank with the same exact filter as me. I just don't have fish in mine, I have spare filter catridges...are you still in the cycle process like I am? I have a question for anyone also, does it hurt if I brush my dirty catridge in the tank water that wasn't removed? I did a water change after I did that though.

Its the white filter pad,and the tank is done with they cycling process I have been done for about a month.
Well if I'm suppose to change the filter won't it mess up my cycle?

My filter pad looks like this kind of
015905060875C.jpg

No, once your cycle is done you shouldn't have as much to worry about. You added bacteria during the cycling, yes? The bacteria is what takes care of most of the waste. You can and definitely should change your filter pad. Most of the good bacteria in your tank will be on decorations and gravel by now, and I believe in the actual filter too. Change out filter pads whenever they get all green and nasty.

What the filter pad does is, the actual white pad part collects debris (say from leftover food or fish waste) and the black stuff inside (activated carbon) helps to neutralize ammonia and make it so your water doesn't stink.

If you ever need to medicate your tank though, be sure to take out the pad, because the carbon absorbs all your medicine before the fish can get it.

PS: I usually change my filter pads about once a month. Another thing I've heard people on here and other places say, is that the carbon doesn't even last that long anyways (about 7 days), but unless you're medicating, or have plants that would like the ammonia, I can't see carbon as being bad. With the aqueon filters, you are supposed to change the pad every month, and rinse that blue plastic thing that you hold the pad into the filter with (in water from your aquarium of course).

Your situation sounds similiar to mine say, that you have a 10 gallon tank with the same exact filter as me. I just don't have fish in mine, I have spare filter catridges...are you still in the cycle process like I am? I have a question for anyone also, does it hurt if I brush my dirty catridge in the tank water that wasn't removed? I did a water change after I did that though.

I had a whole big reply all written, and then I saw that you're cycling without fish. :morning:

I don't think it should hurt too much, but I would probably change the water first, and before you dump the old water, just give it a rinse in that. I'm not sure if the aqueon quiet flow for the 10G has the blue plastic thing that you put the pad in, like mine does, but in the instructions it does say to give it a good rinse in your aquarium water too once in a while.

Well I vacuum my gravel sometimes doesn't that take away some bacteria? I have some drift wood,but doesn't the bacteria stay on the pad if not where else?
this is a video of me giving a tour of my 10 gallon tank I also have more videos
YouTube - Tour of tank

Well my Quietflow10 is for 10-20 gallons. My filter catridges don't have the blue lining though. They are Mediums. I want your opinion too since most of the people on here tell me to stick with the fishless cycle. Did you have great success with a cycle using fish? Did you have to return any fish to a LFS or have any die on you and would you suggest me to use fish to break in my cycle? And with using fish, how often did you do water changes because I won't have a problem doing water changes every day if I have to. I just don't know if that'll stress the fish out.

Well my Quietflow10 is for 10-20 gallons. My filter catridges don't have the blue lining though. They are Mediums. I want your opinion too since most of the people on here tell me to stick with the fishless cycle. Did you have great success with a cycle using fish? Did you have to return any fish to a LFS or have any die on you and would you suggest me to use fish to break in my cycle? And with using fish, how often did you do water changes because I won't have a problem doing water changes every day if I have to. I just don't know if that'll stress the fish out.
Well I started my tank off around January.
After all the substrate,and decorations were set I got 3 zebra danios,and checked my ammonia levels everyday. I did partial water changes every 3-4 days,and then I waited a month,and then added my Betta. I went to the pet store (petco test for free),and they told me my tank was cycled,and then I added brought 4 neon tetras,and I'm up to that point right now. I didn't return and fish and,Non of my starter fish died they are nice and healthy and active,and non of my other fish have died either. I strongly recommend using zebra Danios,and it gives you something to look at while your tank is cycling.

Okay....I might add zebras as a break-in fish then. When my tank is cycled, I plan to put in a few corydoras and then maybe a gourami. I just need to get to my pet store. Are any other fish reccomended as a break-in fish? I know they have to be harty.

Okay....I might add zebras as a break-in fish then. When my tank is cycled, I plan to put in a few corydoras and then maybe a gourami. I just need to get to my pet store. Are any other fish reccomended as a break-in fish? I know they have to be harty.
Well I know there some other ones,but I only delt with Zebra Danios.
Make sure you get an Ammonia Nitrite,and Nitrate test kit.

At first the ammonia will rise then nitrite will come and rise then the ammonia will drop and the Nitrite will rise higher and then you will see the Nitrite lowering and then You will see Nitrates (The cycle is almost done at this point) Then there will be No ammonia and no Nitrite,and then your tank is fully cycles,but even after your tank is cycled only add a few fish at a time so your bacteria can catch up with the bil load.

Yeah. I have a pure ammonia test kit which is giving me high readings in ammonia lately. Then I have a used dry tab test kit which testes all three and also ph level but I don't think it's that accurate. I will need to get a new test kit for nitrite and nitrates. I was thinking on using white clouds but I think I might stick with the zebra danios. Would I also be able to use leapord danios because if I can, I might get 2 zebras and a leapord for the break-in cycle.

Personally, I've never had any problems cycling with fish in the tank. I think most fish are tougher than some would have you believe. I've used zebra danios and guppies, and at most I maybe lost 1 of each, and that was because I didn't even know about the cycle when I started, and proper water changes. Another of my first fish during cycling was a black skirt tetra, who is probably the oldest living resident I have right now.

Well I vacuum my gravel sometimes doesn't that take away some bacteria? I have some drift wood,but doesn't the bacteria stay on the pad if not where else?
this is a video of me giving a tour of my 10 gallon tank I also have more videos
YouTube - Tour of tank

The bacteria collects practically everywhere. Your gravel, your plants, your driftwood, the inside of your filter. And anything that you would happen to vacuum out is replaced when you add bacteria every water change like they say too. The filter pad should be changed though. A clean pad helps keep the water clear and picks up more debris than a dirty pad.

The bacteria collects practically everywhere. Your gravel, your plants, your driftwood, the inside of your filter. And anything that you would happen to vacuum out is replaced when you add bacteria every water change like they say too. The filter pad should be changed though. A clean pad helps keep the water clear and picks up more debris than a dirty pad.
Well When do I add new bacteria? I had a bacteria of bacteria but its all out or you talking about that or is there bacteria in the tap water?

I have to disagree with a few things here.

Bacteria do live on pretty much every surface in your tank, and you may vacuum some out when you do a water change, but you definitely do not add them when you refill the tank. The chlorine/chloramine in your tap water is there to get rid of bacteria. The bacteria populations in your tank reproduce fast enough that the bacteria vacuumed out won't be missed.

I also have to disagree with changing the filter pads frequently. Your filter pads house huge bacteria colonies. Getting rid of these colonies will cause your tank to go through a mini-cycle. When you do a water change, simply rinse out the filter pad in the bucket of old water. It'll preserve your bacteria populations and keep some money in your wallet. Only replace the pad when it's falling apart or is so clogged that it can't be satisfactorily cleaned.

I don't know if HeathB means using those "Bacteria" products on the market . If that is what he means then I would say that you are wasting your money . As BigJim stated , you are not going to remove enough bacteria when vacuuming your gravel to cause any harm .

What rocktrns needs to do is figure out how to get rid of the activated carbon out of his filter cartridges and just use the filter pads and rinse them off every so often when you do a pwc . Save a couple of your filter pads with the carbon left in them encase you need to remove medications . What I did when I still used the filter cartridges was cut the tops open and dump the carbon in the trash and rinse them out well to get rid of any dust .

Back
Top Bottom