cleaning gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hadvisor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got done cleaning the gravel for the first time since the tank has been up and running smoothly. The python gravel sucker deal works pretty well. Dumb question but any suggestions when sucking up the debris from the bottom? I basically moved the gravel around a bit while catching as much debris as possible. I probably sucked out a couple buckets of water and performed the normal water change-adding conditioners.(46 gallon tank by the way...) I cleaned off the inside glass and tested ph-all seems fine, fish are acting fairly normal. When should I be cleaning off the gravel? When it shows signs of being dirty? Thank you all for helping me, its nice to not feel stupid to ask such questions!!!
Don

I clean the gravel every time I do a water change. It has been suggested that one should only clean 1/2 of the gravel each time to avoid disturbing the bacteria. I don't do it this way, BUT I have Bio Wheels running on all my FW tanks and they are pretty awesome bio filters. I would do 1/2 each water change at the very least.
Logan J

Yep, do one side of the tank one water change, the other side the next water change. I also do not follow this exactly due to my BioWheels, but without Biowheels it is a good guideline.

Back
Top Bottom