Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cleaning Gravel

OK what is the secret to a total good job vaccum the gravel. I try a first getting it to start the drain process seems to not happen. I have both types the one you squeeze to get going and the one you move up and down to start . But I get them going I only have a 5.5 gal. tank. The other issue is do I take the betta out and snail to get it cleaned good. I have one planted plant. But this might put trauma on the snail and might not come out of his shell for awhile. I do it with them in but I don't think it is very thorough . What do others do with their tanks?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always used the python (hooks into faucet) so it's a bit more suction. No need to remove the fish or snail IMO.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

For that size tank(5.5g) I would use the squeeze type bulb to get it primed and flowing. A smaller sized gravel vac should be used; the flow will be lower than a larger one and will allow you time to clean a section of the gravel without draining too much from the tank. Also, I'd only clean a section with each weekly water change and rotate the sections to be vacuumed. IMO no need to vacuum all of the gravel in one sitting.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks this is helpful information.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just give the hose that goes into the bucket a quick suck to get it started...easy. I have the one you are meant to jiggle up and down, scares the crap out of my fish trying to get it started that way.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 5.5 betta tank and I vacuum a small section of the gravel once a week. With only one fish (and a snail in your case) you don't build up a lot of fish waste so just doing small sections will be fine as long as you keep up with it. Also I leave the betta in while I vacuum.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Snails are pretty poopy!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteatergoanna View Post
Snails are pretty poopy!
Really? Well I definitely wouldn't expect that! But I still think OP will be fine with doing small sections once a week
Old 05-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would estimate 90% of the waste comes from the snails (MTS) and 10% from the fish. I have a low fish population and a lot of snails in my tank.
I did go through a phase where I did not clean the gravel for over a year and a half! The tank was planted pretty heavily and there was less than 10% of the gravel that was not covered with plants. I did a recent massive re-do and gave it a good cleaning. I now have some real estate open at the front of the tank available for vacuuming.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah just suck it and limit the flow with ur finger over the end, then suck away!

Tags
clean, cleaning, gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com