cleaning inquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyP

Aquarium Advice Addict
sorry for the dumb question, but when I do my water changes normally on my 29G freshwater tank, am I supposed to clean the filter? I have an Aqueon HOB that have replacement cartridges for sale. Do I spray the filter in the sink to make it white again or should I swish it around in tank water i remove or should i just leave it? If i have to swish/rinse how often should I do this?

Thanks.. if anyone can chime in for the same for saltwater if it makes a difference that would be great.

Well for one if you clean your filter pad with tap water you will have to recycle your tank because untreated tap water kills beneficial bacteria, you really dont want your filter pad to be white, the brownness indicates that its doing its job and is housing BB. Most people say to just swish the filter in the used tank water that you remove during a water change, do this as often as you want.

That is what I have been doing I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. Thanks for the help!

TommyP said:
That is what I have been doing I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. Thanks for the help!

No problem, sorry I'm no help with the saltwater side of your question, I have no saltwater knowledge haha

Back
Top Bottom