Cleaning my filter need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so it's warm enough to go outside so I want to clean my 10 gallons filter how do I do this? I normally just clean it all but some people say it's good to save some beneficial bacteria
Any advice?

Collect some of the tank water and just rinse it off in this. Never throw the filter away.

Don't clean it under your outside hose, that's for sure. :lol:

With filter media, it's very important to only rinse it off in used tank water, never tap water. The tap water will kill off the beneficial bacteria. You also should not change out filter media unless it's absolutely falling apart.

If you want to rinse off your filter housing, remove all the media and put aside. Then you can rinse the housing off in the sink or tub or even outside.

You can clean the plastic filter housing in tap water. Just be sure none of the media itself (sponges, bioballs, whatever you have) is rinsed in tap.

Fishandmusic81 said:
Oh ok thanks and since it's the media that counts then I can just clean the part that holds the media in tap water and dry it?

Yes but make sure the media stays wet and in the water!

Back
Top Bottom