Cleaning old equipment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought a 10 gal tank off of craig's list. When I got it it was full of a mixture of equipment for keeping freshwater fish and reptiles. There were some items that came with the tank that I would like to use. (because they were cheep)

It has a cheep heater that has no temp control, but the heater has some smelly brown (rust colored) spots that wont scrape off. It also has a cheep whisper in tank filter with an airpump. The airpump has what appears to be a non removable airline that has two whiteish areas that are a diffrent color than the slightly tea colored airline tube.

I would like use these items but I don't know how to clean them.
What do I do?

I would try soaking the heater in pure vinegar, & if that don't work something stronger like CLR or muriatic acid. Make sure you rinse really well after. I would also bleach it to kill off any algae/bacteria/parasites. <1:10 overnight.> Rinse well after bleaching (last one with a double or triple dose of dechlor.)

As for the airline, I would replace the tubing. I am pretty sure that there is a way to change the tubing. If all else fails, you can cut the tubing off close to the pump & join in a new length of tubing using a straight connector.

Back
Top Bottom