Cleaning out fish tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heavenly

Aquarium Advice Regular
:?: Is it safe to remove the fish, take all the rocks, plants and what nots and actually rinse the whole tank and set it back up on a regular basis. I thought that wasn't safe at all. My neighbor does that because she doesn't have a vac and she wants to get rid of all the waste and old food; but wouldn't that upset the balance and get rid of bacteria and stuff like that? :?:

That's the dumbest thing she can ever do.... It essentially upsets the fishes (-> stress!). Depending on how she cleans, since most of the bacteria are on the filter, it should not get rid of the bacteria.

Strongly suggest her to buy a vacuum cleaner (a few bucks or tens of bucks...)

Is that what that nasty brown stuff is on there?? If so, should I stop cleaning that and changing filters when they are too old?

No the nasty brown stuff is decaying food, decaying feces, or decaying plants if you have some. The bacteria are not so visible. You should clean your filter with *water* tank every month or so (depending how fast it clogs), and put it back. That will not destroy the baterial colony. However, if it becomes too clog, consider changing it ***but*** put a new filter together for 1-2 weeks so that the bacteria migrate from the old to the new filter. If you forget this step, you will essentially start your cycle again.

Whew! Thanks. you had me scared there for a minute. I was afraid I was harming my fish and I don't want to do that.

I disagree, if you throw away you old filter (as suggested by the manufacturer, which has you replacing them far too often :?), from an established tank, the tank will be fine with a brand new filter. There are tons of bacteria in the water, on the substrate, decor and fish themselves that a cycle will not restart. However, if you are thinking ahead, you can seed your new filter from the old filter. Bacteria will not migrate from an old filter to a fresh filter. The "offspring" of the bacteria on the old filter will colonize the new filter.

Menagerie, on the second part I agree, it was a misconception. On the first part, I disagree. Not that I personally know the solution, but from many websites and forum I read and participate, where (apparently) knowledgeable people claim that a negligible amount of bacteria is available in the water, on the substrate, decor, and fishes. I made the personal mistake to forget to seed the new filter and (despite the same tank and water) I now am cycling my tank again....

""offspring" of the bacteria" makes me think of all the bacteria that are crawling over each one of us at the moment... Yeah, cheap gravel vacs don't cost a lot. It is a good idea to keep decaying food to a minimum but emptying the tank is not a good idea, not to mention extremely time consuming. I bought one of those vacs that are operated by an air pump, they don't remove water just the waste... still takes a little work, but less than emptying the entire tank and it's fun to watch how much waste you take out, well, I guess it might be more gross than fun to most people...

Carbon filter: several people in the hobby think that the carbon filter is of no use since its effect disappears in a few days. So, I guess my recommendation is to get rid of the carbon, and do not care about it.

okay. I have a little white filter on it too. I am not sure what it is. I like bubble stone. Recently I changed the system. Instead of using the one that poured in I am using the air pump type. Do you think I made a mistake?? I like the way it is now and my tank seems to be a lot cleaner too. Any advice??

I don't use carbon filters in my 6 tanks--only if needed to remove meds (even then, ill fish get treated in the QT tank).
I don't understand, you took off the HOB filter and are using an air airpump? Is the air pump running into a sponge?

Back
Top Bottom