cleaning rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retorres70

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just now went got some decorative rocks. like smooth river rock. how would i clean them to put them in tank. i know i have to clean alot and when i think im through clean them again. but with what, and how much is enough? thanks for info

You can boil them, or do like I did and cook them on the grill outside, since I did not have pots large enough to cook them in. After I grilled them for a day (you can imagine what the neighbors thought of this activity - "the Begleys are so poor they're cooking ROCKS on the grill!"
I just scrubbed them and hosed them off and in they went. I love my river rocks, they are lovely in an aquarium!

I didn't go for the grill treatment with mine - BTW - one day of heat is a bit overkill?, I figure heating the rock to 250/300 degree should be enough to kill the nasties....

Back to the questions - I collected my rocks & pebbles in non-polluted area, scrubbed with hot water till I am sick of it, then soak in 1:20 bleach for a day, rinse about 10 times, last time with dechlor added. Finally, I put the batch out in the hot sun to dry for a couple days <rocks get pretty hot in sun too, & air drying will get rid of any remaining chlorine, I figure> and into the tank they go.

So far - 4 months - & no incident.

I am with TG on the river rocks - looks waaaay better than the fake stuff - plus they're free!

I agree that a day on the grill is too long - each rock was only on there for maybe 20 minutes, then I'd take that batch out and make room for more - I had collected quite a few! Still makes the neighbors stare....

I picked up some rocks called rhyolite, they are igneous kind of rock being inert. They had some lichens and stuff, but most came off after boiling for about 20 minutes and then scrubbing. They were exposed to air when I picked them up, so I didn't really bother bleaching or anything like that. I had them for about 2 weeks now, and my Anubia nana is happily growing on it.

I am just soaking my Vermont Slate overnight. Tomorrow, I will probably lay them out on the drive for a good sun bask. Around mid-day (on Saturday), I'll give them a flip. I hope this is enough. The sun can be a powerful cleanser. Even with rinsing, bleach still scares me. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom