cleaning sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im about to get a 55g in a couple weeks i was thinking of using sand is it easier to clean the gravel? and what is used to do so? Also i want to do live plants will sand be ok?

I'm have the same situation. I have a 55 gallo with sand and a 10 also. The 10 has low light plants in them and they are doing fine. The sand IMO is a little harder to clean, but when it is it looks very good.

Funny you should say that. I am thinking of going with a sand gravel mix in mine. Not sure if I will do it soon, still trying to see more pros than cons about freshwater sand. It really shows the gunk, but like jackwagon said, "but when it is it looks very good". I would go with a black sand so it mixes with my gravel.

vaquero said:
So where you getting the tank from??????LOL!!!!

vaquero said:
Funny you should say that. I am thinking of going with a sand gravel mix in mine. Not sure if I will do it soon, still trying to see more pros than cons about freshwater sand. It really shows the gunk, but like jackwagon said, "but when it is it looks very good". I would go with a black sand so it mixes with my gravel.

Hmm you lol yah im still in debate wanted to see what other people on here had luck with

jackwagon said:
I'm have the same situation. I have a 55 gallo with sand and a 10 also. The 10 has low light plants in them and they are doing fine. The sand IMO is a little harder to clean, but when it is it looks very good.

Thank you how do you clean it

I have pool filter sand in my 55 gallon tank. Not hard to clean at all. I use the hose from a gravel vac ( take off the large suction tube ) just use the hose. get the suction going. Get about an inch or so from the bottom and swirl the hose around to create a kind of a vortex. Most of the debris from the bottom swirls around where you can suck it up. You can also mix up the bottom with your hand to get the debris moving before you suck it up. It's a little trickier the vacuuming gravel but imo sand looks so much nicer.

sansouci01 said:
I have pool filter sand in my 55 gallon tank. Not hard to clean at all. I use the hose from a gravel vac ( take off the large suction tube ) just use the hose. get the suction going. Get about an inch or so from the bottom and swirl the hose around to create a kind of a vortex. Most of the debris from the bottom swirls around where you can suck it up. You can also mix up the bottom with your hand to get the debris moving before you suck it up. It's a little trickier the vacuuming gravel but imo sand looks so much nicer.

Thank you that helps do snails help

don't know about snails but I just purchased a gold dojo loach over the weekend. I heard that they are very good sand filterers. I watch him and he digs through the sand and spits it out his gills. Pretty cool to watch. Don't know if it helps keep the sand cleaner but it can't hurt and fun to watch too. As for snails, I would always worry that you might get a population explosion and be over run by them. Just my opinion.

sansouci01 said:
don't know about snails but I just purchased a gold dojo loach over the weekend. I heard that they are very good sand filterers. I watch him and he digs through the sand and spits it out his gills. Pretty cool to watch. Don't know if it helps keep the sand cleaner but it can't hurt and fun to watch too. As for snails, I would always worry that you might get a population explosion and be over run by them. Just my opinion.

Ill have to look into both i have a black mystery snail now he just crusies the tank

Back
Top Bottom