Cleaning sand and trimming plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Moe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.

I am about to do a water change, just wondering what are the best tips for cleaning an aquarium with sand in it without sucking all the sand out too?

Also i have a few plants in (not sure of the name, I will add a photo to the thread) that seem to have roots growing out of the main stem in places, can i trim the plant there and re-plant with the rest?

I have some moss that i have tied to some wood, will this grow and attach itself to the wood as it grows?

Thanks! (y)

Those are ariel roots and are very common on stem plants. You can clip them if they bother you.

As for the sand, I don't use it but you can swirl the gravel vac gently over the sand causing the detris to raise into the water column which then allows you to remove it with your vac and without sucking up sand.

Thanks both. I took the end piece off and used just the hose and did that holding it about 1/2 an inch away, did the trick.

The plants have grown to the top of the water i'm just going to trim them down i think.

Rivercats you have a real nice aquarium there. Love the Angel fish.

Thanks again.

Thanks both. I took the end piece off and used just the hose and did that holding it about 1/2 an inch away, did the trick.

The plants have grown to the top of the water i'm just going to trim them down i think.

Rivercats you have a real nice aquarium there. Love the Angel fish.

Thanks again.

My sands have enough I just put my gravel vac right above the sand

Thanks! Give the really tall ones a good trim and you will usually get much bushier growth. Plus you can replant the trimmed tops to get much fuller plantings.

Ok will do that in next couple of days.

Thanks for the help!(y)

Back
Top Bottom