Cleaning tanks with small inhabitants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30g tall with neocardinia shrimp of various sizes & small pea size pebble gravel & I'm wondering what the best way to clean it is without committing multiple homicides. I usually use a Python style cleaner attached to the tap but these guys can be too small to see before they go for that long winding ride down the drain.
Also have a 20g grow out tank with a bare bottom for platy fry that I am having the same issue with

Any suggestions you can offer for cleaning either of these tanks without killing the inhabitants would be greatly appreciated

Python cleaners have a cap with a fine grid you can place over the entrance that will prevent all but the smallest fish from being filtered out. I thought they came with the python. If you don't have one, you can put a piece of screen or cheesecloth over the opening with a rubberband.

Rather than siphon out debris, you can use a turkey baster (or similar device) and shoot a jet of water at the substrate to help dislodge and suspend it. The filter (hopefully with a sponge prefilter) can do the work. I rinse out my prefilters about once a week and what comes out of them resembles chocolate milk.

Back
Top Bottom