Cleaning the caister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My red platy fish died after cleaning the eheim canister filter.

I dont know what I did wrong or If I should have even cleaned the filter after 6 month.

All my other fishes are fine.

I used the tank water to clean it and dumped the canister filter water out.

Pleas let me know how I should clean it or what to do next time and not to loose any fish.

My red platy fish died after cleaning the eheim canister filter.

I dont know what I did wrong or If I should have even cleaned the filter after 6 month.

All my other fishes are fine.

I used the tank water to clean it and dumped the canister filter water out.

Pleas let me know how I should clean it or what to do next time and not to loose any fish.
6 months is a good time to clean it. It depends on your stock and stock levels. Was it really dirty??. The key is to use tank water, like you did but also to not let the filter media dry out. I use a bucket of tank water to put the media in as I clean it. It could be just a coincidence that fish died...

I agree that it is likely a coincidence. You must have a very low bioload- I'd have more mulm than media if I let mine go 6 months! If you cleaned the filter at the same time as a pwc,you may have inadvertently caused the ph to jump, and/or caused a mini cycle.

Ya I did pwc and also I think it was time for the fish caz I had that fish for 5 years

I agree that it is likely a coincidence. You must have a very low bioload- I'd have more mulm than media if I let mine go 6 months! If you cleaned the filter at the same time as a pwc,you may have inadvertently caused the ph to jump, and/or caused a mini cycle.

It's standard to clean filter media the same time as a Pac. If do e properly it should never cause a mini cycle and the pH change shouldn't be more than a normal change.

Ya I did pwc and also I think it was time for the fish caz I had that fish for 5 years

It's very likely that its unrelated if the fish was that old.

If its a mini cycle do I delay the pwc

No, if you test positive for ammonia above .25 then you definitely need to do a water change. The BB will sort itself out.

What is the size of your tank and it stock? Also do you test for nitrates? Reason I'm asking is because canister filters that aren't cleaned often enough cause a lot of nitrates in the tank due to the heavy detris load that builds up inside them. I mainly use all canister filters and clean them once a month.

What is the size of your tank and it stock? Also do you test for nitrates? Reason I'm asking is because canister filters that aren't cleaned often enough cause a lot of nitrates in the tank due to the heavy detris load that builds up inside them. I mainly use all canister filters and clean them once a month.

40 gal

Baby red parrot
2 angel fish

I did nitrate test 3 month ago and it was 0

It's standard to clean filter media the same time as a Pac. If do e properly it should never cause a mini cycle and the pH change shouldn't be more than a normal change.

It's very likely that its unrelated if the fish was that old.

No, if you test positive for ammonia above .25 then you definitely need to do a water change. The BB will sort itself out.

Ok sounds good I guess I'll watch what I'm doing carefully

I guess I'll do once a month cleaning or alters try too

Back
Top Bottom