Cleaning the glass on a "old" aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I traded some fry for a 30 gallon breeder tank and I cannot get the glass clear. It has a "film" on each side of the glass an no matter how hard I scrub or use a razor it won't come off. Is there any special "Cure All" to get glass clear? Help would be appreciated, because without it, I will have to toss the tank and it was going to be my fun summer project

Thanks

You could try that goo-off stuff or whatever it's called. It works really well, but you'll haveta be sure you get it completely off the tank... it's most liekly very toxic for your fishies. :)

I used CLR on one tank once that had a calcium film and it works well. I rinsed it for about an hour afterward in a high volume stream (garden hose).

I have tried viniger, lemon juice and a "CLR" type stuff to no avail. Also tried Ajax (Abrasive) cleaner and a scrub pad but it wont come off :-(

With the Vinegar, you may have to let it "sit" on one area for 24 hours for it to perform. I've removed some "impossible" stains and dis-colorations with full-strength vinegar after a 24 hour period, sometimes scrubbing with a vinegar-salt solution before I rinse. If none of those methods work, then chances are the glass is etched, and I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to fix that. The next step may be mechanical buffing with a polishing media and electric buffer. Good luck.

Well, I know car detailers will go after a "filmy" windshield with a razorblade and steel wool, perhaps it will work for an aquarium.

I would be careful with the tank. With all the work you have done in it so far, the silicon seals may be compromised.

shawmutt said:
Well, I know car detailers will go after a "filmy" windshield with a razorblade and steel wool, perhaps it will work for an aquarium.

I would be careful with the tank. With all the work you have done in it so far, the silicon seals may be compromised.

Yup, already planning on re-doing the seals because the last reseal was done very ugly like.

Just had a thought...no one asked...this is glass and not an acyrlic tank, right?

Boy, this would seriously jack up an acrylic tank.

Have you tried bleach yet?
Try a strong bleach water mix and see if it will work for ya.
But remember to rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again.
Good luck.

Muriatic acid is the weapon as of now. I have done a trial application and it has removed some of the foggyness.
The stuff is sold in hardware stores in the plumbing section or paint area--IT IS VERY VERY STRONG!!!!!. MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUTSIDE!!!!!!!! Try to get some wind at your back too. This stuff puts off a white smoke that you do NOT want to be breathing. Have gloves, water running so if it does get where it shouldn't you don't have to run to get water going, it is ready.

I applied it to the area that was the worse twice and it has been getting better (I think the reason it cleared one place and not the other is because of how it was spread). I also think that I need to let it sit for longer than I have previously (tomorrow I will start with each treatment of 1 1/2 minutes or so). I have a long wooden stick that I use to spread the acid out from a ways away (Might have been the humidity making it do it, but there was a LOT of smoke--Even coming straight out of the bottle). I will we working on it tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to report back about a crystal clear tank.

Sounds like the glass is etched somehow from something, and I am doubtful it will come clean. If you have the frame and you were planning to reseal it anyway, you could replace the glass, at least on the front.

Back
Top Bottom