Cleaning the new bio-filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nautilus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 4 new fish (platies), put them to the clean quarantine tank with brand new Aqua-Clear filter. The filter had bio-media - little white cylinders. I rinsed them several times and put in the filter. Almost instantly the tank water was milky cloudy from media particles. Panicked, I took the filter of, rinsed it, inserted the floss with "Aqurel F" clearing liquid. The water is cleared, but the biomedia which I keep rinsing in a jar, doesn't get cleaner. The white "powder" appears every time I rinse it. How do you clean the filter bio-media before using it? Or how many more times should I rinse it, so it doesn't soil the water any more?
Thank you for any suggestions.

I noticed a slight white water coming from my filter when I first used the ceramic rings but it cleared up by itself. I wouldn't worry about it unless it lasts for more than a day or so. For future reference, the clearing liquid that you use, if I were you I wouldn't use it. We've had some in the past and it works to clear your water, but it is not necessary. Adding unnecessary chemicals can actually harm your fish.

Thank you, Fishy, for reply.
My concern is whether or not this"powder" is going to harm the gills of my fish. What is your opinion about it?

It will be fine. I have 2 Aquaclear filters myself and haven't found this to be a problem. So, are you planning on cycling this tank with fish? If your filter is brand new then your fish will have to survive a cycle. The ammonia and nitrite will be much more toxic to your fish than ceramic dust. :( If this is your QT tank, does that mean you have another tank that is cycled? If so, I would add the platies and the new filter to your cycled tank. Your platies won't have to cycle a new tank, and in a few weeks there will be enough bacteria in your new filter so that you could pull it off of your cycled tank and put it on your QT tank- this would be much less stressful on any fish you put in your QT. JMO :mrgreen:

Thank everyone for reply.
Severumama, you are right, the cycle is dangerous, but I cannot put my platies in the main tank, because I quarantine them. They will stay in QT for 2 weeks. To avoid the cycle, I will add "Bio-Spira" to the filter, as soon as the white powder will be washed off. Or put some of the bio rings from the old tank to the new filter.

Sounds good Nautilus. I'm glad that you are using the QT. BTW, a good way to not have to go through the cycling of the QT is to keep the filtration unit for the QT in the main tank until you need to QT a fish. Then boom, instant cycle.

Back
Top Bottom