Cleaning the sand in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedikeens11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry if this is a dumb question but now that I have sand what am I looking for to be cleaned up? Is the little black things on the bottom the feces that need to be sucked? Gravel I just sucked every inch of the tank till the water was clear....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guess it was a dumb question..

I don't have sand personally, but from reading other posts about sand and dealing with cleaning, it sounds like you just keep your vacuum an inch or so above the surface of the sand and sort of swirl it around to kick up the waste. Hope this helps!

Yep. ^ That's how you do it! Not a stupid question:) I asked the same thing before I got sand.
I've found that my siphon doesn't have enough suction to pick up feces from the surface of the sand. So, I turn it backwards! Using the smaller end creates stronger suction so I can just swirl it an inch or so from the sand and it'll pick up the poop :)

I took the siphon off...and the poop is the black little things right? I dont member what the sand looked like when I first put it in but I dont member seeing black specs on the top of the sand.

Lol alright thank you to those who responded!!

I saw a you tube clip that shows you how to clean sand, it says to gently rake over the surface to stir it up a LITTLE, let it settle then use the siphon about an inch above the sand.
Scraping the surface loosens the debris, then it's easier to syphone off. Don't stick the syphon into the sand as you will loose too much sand in your bucket....that's what he said, hope it helps

I watched a bunch of videos also....but they never really seemed to be picking anything up but sand....but u guys have been helpful thanks khuligirl93

I'm new to all this too and have sand ... my fish haven't created much debris yet but while I was cycling I had a TON of debris from the fabulous seeded filter media I was given to jump start my cycle. I kept shaking it in the tank, based on a recommendation to do so in order to get the bacteria to populate all the surfaces.

Anyway. I had a lot of chances to practice and there's this sweet spot with the siphon, where it's close enough to get the crud but not to get the sand. Waving it around a little does get the poo to float without stirring up the sand too much.

Definitely going to try the raking method!

Also, I found a way to do frequent small water changes with practically no attention, in a way that doesn't mess with the sand:

I got a 25' piece of silicone aquarium tubing and a few of the suction cups that hold it. I put one end about midway into the aquarium, and the other end in the bath tub (or my garden, or whatever is lower than the aquarium). It's easier than I expected to start it siphoning and the siphon keeps itself going better than with a gravel vac. Then I walk away, do a little laundry ... next thing I know it's emptied about 15% of the water from my 29 gallon. It can't over-empty without my noticing because it's so slow and I've pinned the end of the tubing where I want it. I do shut off the power head and keep the tubing above the filter intake so the filter keeps going.

Then I fill my bucket with good conditioned water, stick the "bathtub" end of the tube in the bucket with another suction cup to keep it in place, put the bucket higher than the aquarium (in this case, on my bathroom counter) ... the siphon automatically reverses with the gravity.

Anyway, it's been a pretty cool way to get in several little water changes a week, in a way that doesn't disturb the sand and gives the fish an extremely gradual adjustment if the new water is a little different than the tank.

Finally ... since I chose to put in a power head for current, I sometimes place it where it will stir up the lightweight stuff on the bottom without messing with the sand too much. Then the filter gets more of it, and what the filter doesn't get ends up in one front corner.

Back
Top Bottom