Cleaning water-change buckets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get some new buckets for my water-changing.

Any tips on what to avoid, or look out for? Can I just use any new, plastic bucket or is there some way I have to clean it before using it? I know not to use soap or detergent :)

Any bucket that held consumables like pickles are safest and are usually free, most delis and such will give them to you when they are empty. A couple washes with baking soda will greatly reduce the smell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have cats so I use their empty cat litter buckets. Of course they are rinsed out well. And like you said I never used any type of cleaning solution...just plain water.

I believe home depot or lowes carries large sturdy buckets also.

I have cats so I use their empty cat litter buckets. Of course they are rinsed out well. And like you said I never used any type of cleaning solution...just plain water.

I bought a bucket from home depot last week and the handle only lasted one load and dumped the second on my floor, so I went back to home depot and bought a faucet that works with a python lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I lift my buckets from the bottom XDD

But you could get a python or aqueon water changer. I've heard aqueon has better parts but I have yet to try...

You could also buy the faucet adapter that comes with an aqueon or python and hook it up to a light duty hose and then siphon it out into your bath tub or something LOL

Just remember dose the entire tank volume before you fill (and fill slow) OR dose half and dose again once the tank is half filled.

I just use a 4 gallon blue target bucket for my smaller tanks. For my larger tank I will probably do the diy hose thing.

Best of luck, - Raymond

Cat litter contains chemicals that may be poisonous to fish. Make sure buckets are cleaned thoroughly. You can use bleach and rinse again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi masha

I have 3 grow tubs. Large ones. I think they are great. They are rubber. easy to keep clean and store because the fit inside each other and they are pliable so they create a nice pouring lip when you lift them.

I'm going to fill them more this time and use a filter pump and some tubing so I don't have to lift. Just drop the pump in the bucket with the tube attached so the water empties back in to the tank until it is light enough for me to lift.

I'm going to fill them more this time and use a filter pump and some tubing so I don't have to lift. Just drop the pump in the bucket with the tube attached so the water empties back in to the tank until it is light enough for me to lift.

I got a pump, and use that to fill my tank from the bucket. Works like a dream. I made a thing to hold the pipe in place on the tank side. Just a section of pvc pipe with a slot halfway up so it can fit on the side of the tank, and a hole through it for the water pipe.

I can't use a python changer, too far to the water supply.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My science teacher from 8th grade always put his water change buckets on a toboggan LOL :ROFLMAO:

You could do that! XD

I usually just use Home Depots 5g buckets. $2.85. Usually just siphon the water right out of my window and fill back up with a hose.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, rinsed it out with tap water beforehand. Works great

Back
Top Bottom