cleaning with bleach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got some used tanks that had some extremely stinky sand in them. Do I use bleach to clean them or vinegar and water? If I use bleach will Prime take care of any residual amount that may be left after a thorough rinsing? I also have that API aquarium cleaner spray and have used that in the past but these tanks are diritier than I am used to.

:thanks:

I just got some used tanks that had some extremely stinky sand in them. Do I use bleach to clean them or vinegar and water? If I use bleach will Prime take care of any residual amount that may be left after a thorough rinsing? I also have that API aquarium cleaner spray and have used that in the past but these tanks are diritier than I am used to.

IMHO I'd stay away from bleach. Vinegar and water solution should work fine. I wouldn't wanna chance it. Just my opinion.

IMHO I'd stay away from bleach. Vinegar and water solution should work fine. I wouldn't wanna chance it. Just my opinion.

I've used bleach in the past to clean every single ornament filter heater and tank. As long as you rinse it properly after and let it dry you should be fine. Don't use too much though.

Cleaned mine up pretty easily with a Vinegar and water solution!! Good Luck!

Oh god no. If the sand is stinky it most likely means it has bacteria in it which is good, because you'll skip the nitrogen cycle. Id say if the sand isnt dirty and looks nice your not going to smell it under 2 feet of water, leave well enough alone.

I'm assuming you want to clean the tanks and not the sand...

I've always used bleach. One part bleach to nineteen parts water: 1:19. Then use water alone. Then use water and Prime. Then air dry in the sun for a couple of days. In the course of cleaning, leak test the tank.

If the tank is not a second-hand tank and you know its history, vinegar is fine.

David

I've used bleach in the past to clean every single ornament filter heater and tank. As long as you rinse it properly after and let it dry you should be fine. Don't use too much though.

That's cool. Glad it worked out :)

Just saying I wouldn't do it.

The tanks are from a good friend. We already dumped the sand because it stunk so bad. He did have plants in there that died and decayed and it was in the same room with stinky snakes and feeder rodents, so I think the sand absorbed the odors. I'm just concerned about cleaning the tanks themselves. They only ever held fish and not the snakes or rodents so no worries about contamination.
As a side note, these tanks are going to be used to house my Thai Bettas for beeding so I want a bare bottom.

Thanks everyone for your imput!

I've used bleach before - when I picked up an old tank, a diluted bleach solution was THE only thing that could get off the water spots. Vinegar just wasn't doing it....The key is to rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse after you're done. If you're think you're done rinsing, rinse some more :cool: you want to get all the bleach you possibly can off of it! To rinse my tank off, I brought it outside and took a garden sprayer to it for a good long time.

Oh god no. If the sand is stinky it most likely means it has bacteria in it which is good, because you'll skip the nitrogen cycle. Id say if the sand isnt dirty and looks nice your not going to smell it under 2 feet of water, leave well enough alone.

You also have to consider the possibility of bad parasites and such in the sand.

Trust me this sand was putrid. I was gagging and its probably been a year or more since anything was kept in it.

Gallon of white vinegar and a couple generic boxes of baking soda, maybe a magic eraser and a razor blade.

Playing with vinegar and baking soda is fun too, fun while you clean!!!

Obviously rocks and sand can scratch the glass. But make a paste with the baking soda and rub off the light stuff. If you have heavy scum and stuff use the razor blade first then use the baking soda paste, dab in vinegar and have fun, rub in a circular motion! Will help get rid of the smell and make everything fresh.

Sand is cheap. I would probably just replace it rather than try to salvage it.

For the record though, I've used bleach to sterilize entire tanks and equipment before. You need to use an extra large dose of prime to detox it, but Prime is rated to take care of hypochlorite.

Back
Top Bottom