Clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my tank I have a TopFin 30 and was going to add a TopFin 40 as a second filter. Well now that I see this, could I just buy this and use it for the same purpose?

It's not the same a ultraviolet rays will kill any bacteria good and bad in it or that passes threw it. A hob filter will hold bacteria that will help with water quality. I don't know your story of your tank to recommend one.

One problem people have with uv lights is that it hides nasty looking water if sized and ran right. So people look at it as I don't need to do water changes because its crystal clear. That's a wrong statement it does not remove ammonia, nitrites and nitrates from the water column.

So, does that mean that I should use a HOB uv filter, or a canister uv, or a uv and HOB together?

I have a inline one, these can be hooked to just about anything with a little thought put into it. Otherwise I agree with what rivercats posted below your post.

Last edited:
On my tank I have a TopFin 30 and was going to add a TopFin 40 as a second filter. Well now that I see this, could I just buy this and use it for the same purpose?

IMO you'd be better off with a second filter not a UV sterilizer. More and better filtration is always a plus for your tank and fish.

Hopefully I can eventually get the clear water anyway. I have lots of plants and driftwood and they just seem to ruin my water color.

Rivercats if its not to much trouble could you head over to my most recent thread and give some input? You've always helped me tremendously.

I use a UV sterilizer AND two HOB filters on my tanks. I like the filtered water and the clear water. I do still test for ammonia and all others with my Master test kit. I am just hooked on the crystal clear water i have.

Back
Top Bottom