Clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long does it take before the extra filter and purigen starts to work??

View attachment 227301as u can see it's on the plants and heater and on the back glass

How long are the lights on each day? A little too late since you already purchased the pleco but a long photo period might be causing the algae. Nothing against plecos, but introducing another nitrate producing source to deal with algae might be counter productive.

Good move increasing your filtration. Firm believer in under stocking and over filtration.

Maybe 2 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours at night. Te pleco won't get over 5 inches so it's not that much bio-load opposed to a common... But thanks for the reply

How long does it take before the extra filter and purigen starts to work??
Purigen works quickly ... like in 24 hours. However, don't expect miracles. That new filter alone is not going to hack it right a way. I hope you seeded the new filter with old filter media or something with beneficial bacteria on it.

Aqueon filters do not come with polishing pads and the factory media is mediocre at best. Accordingly, you are going to have to do some work to get the kind of clarity you said you wanted in your first post.

I suggest you get yourself a sponge pre-filter or..... depending on the shape of the intake, make yourself a home-made pre-filter using floss in a coarse mesh biobag. Then either stuff your filter with as much Serawool or other high quality floss to catch fine particles ....... or ......... ideally, If you can, use cut to fit polishing pads to catch the finest debris.

Obtaining ideal results with non-ideal equipment takes work. It used to take me at least an hour a month minimum to get crystal clear polished water using my WalMart Aqua-Tech 30-60. It now takes 5 minutes a month for two tanks using Fluval C series filters.

See this review on youtube about how fast Purigen can work:

On your picture it's diatoms on the heater. For the plants, it's another type of algae. Diatoms will get rid by itself after few months if it's a new tank, there's a lot of sillicates release into water on new aquariums. (4 months-)

Back
Top Bottom