Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

clear water is not happening....

I have a 20 g tank which has cycled. I have done nothing to it but the usual water changes. It just will not get crystal clear like everyone elses!! I have snails, and salt and pepper cats, ghost shrimp and only 14 - 1 inch shrimp. My bioload is not high... IMO. And am not over feeding, over fertilizing. I have plants that are trimmed and nothing dead or rotting. I will be putting more drift wood in tomorrow, but that has been boiled until the water ran clear. I swish my filter in the water that I drain off. Please... any ideas?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you post a pic. That would really help. Also how long do keep your lights on and what lights are you using.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will be honest......I don't know how to post a picture on here. I was gone for 5 days in which the light were off the whole time. Today, like usual, six hours or less. 3 am. and 3 pm. It just looks like someone put their hand in it and just created everything to fly!!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello Heidi,

You may want to make sure the water is not bypassing the mechanical part of the filter.

David
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am now running two filters. It has been four hours and it hasn't cleared a bit. I just can't figure this one out! The new one is an Aquaclear 50. Fish all seem fine... Guess its just me!!!!! lol
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seachem makes a product call purigen. It comes in a few sizes but the smallest is in a per-made bag that will fit nicely where the active carbon does in AC 50. It works a lot like active carbon but much better. And it's rechargeable so you don't have a keep buying it. Works for about 6 months and if your tank is planted it won't pull your fertz. If you have tannis from driftwood it will clear it out. Great stuff. I run it all my tanks. You may want to try some.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfriend View Post
Seachem makes a product call purigen. It comes in a few sizes but the smallest is in a per-made bag that will fit nicely where the active carbon does in AC 50. It works a lot like active carbon but much better. And it's rechargeable so you don't have a keep buying it. Works for about 6 months and if your tank is planted it won't pull your fertz. If you have tannis from driftwood it will clear it out. Great stuff. I run it all my tanks. You may want to try some.
I totally agree...Seachem is simply AMAZING!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would try adding fine filter wool or water polishing pads to one or both of the filters. to trap the fine particles which may be suspended in the water.

tropical-fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clear, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com