Close to end of cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autopsywoman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I think the our tank might be close to the end of its second (unexpected) cycling process. The ammonias finally went from 8.0 down to 0. Now, the Nitrates are up to between 10-20 again (they were at 5) and the nitrites are spiking at 1.0 and moving on up. I have been doing daily water changes to keep the fish alive since the water went wacko on me. But even after a water change the nitrites are hanging in at 1.0.

Is there any other way I can get rid of them to keep the poor fish safe, or am I destined to worry all night long whether the nitrites are killing my poor little Tetras until I can do another emergency water change?

I did a 60% water change this morning and the nitrites stayed at 1.0. I don't know what else I can do. Any advice is welcome.

Amquel Plus will lower the nitrite from 1ppm to about .5ppm, that has been my experience. It will also lower your Nitrate a bit as well.
Make sure you have plenty of oxygenation (airstone and even lower the water level a little for more splashing from the filter) as Amquel Plus will also take a small amount of Oxygen from the water. Sounds like you are understocked so oxygen probably is not a problem.
With your parameters it sounds like you are very near the end of your cycle and I would expect your nitrites to dissapear over this coming weekend.
Also watch for over feeding as that will keep your levels high.
Do you vacuum your tank when you change water?

I would keep doing large PWCs until the nitrites get to a more reasonable level. I would be worried if I saw nitrites go above .25ppm. You could try Amquel Plus, I've heard mixed things about how effective it is at lowering levels. I would do bi-daily PWCs of 50% or more until that gets to a reasonable level.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been using Amquel as one of my "water conditioners" the past two days just to try and combat the nitrites that have been plaguing me. I also vaccum a bit with each water change, but I'm trying to avoid sterilizing the tank with too much vacuuming. I am feeding the fish once a day... Most of the waste lately seems to be filled with sand from the Pleco noshing on the sand. Otherwise, it doesn't come out too dirty. I have two long air-wands with a large pump, and I have a large Whisper filter and a medium Penguin filter that I'm allowing to drain a longer distance into the tank so that it creates more oxygen flow. I've had this set-up for a long time, which might explain why the fish have managed to survive with all the wacky water conditions. So, I'll continue the route I've been going and hope that it does end over the weekend. That would be such a slice of heaven after months of struggling.

Back
Top Bottom