Cloudy Established Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good morning all,

Last week we refinished our wood floors, which meant I had zero access to my main aquarium on the second floor. I took the precaution of moving all of my fish into a 10 gallon QT tank in the basement with me. I intentionally left my snails in the main tank to keep the biofilters going. The main aquarium is a high tech tank that has been established for 4 years now. It has high light, CO2 and a PPS-Pro fertilizer system. The lights and CO2 were on timers, but I was unable to dose with fertilizers in this period of time. From Wednesday on, the WIFI was also knocked out, turning the CO2 off until Saturday.

When I saw the tank, the water was (the color white too) cloudy to the point of where I could not see the back of the tank. Everything has a thick coat of slime on it and the top of the water had a coat of slime that hardened. I immediately did a 90% water change and added carbon, but I am still dealing with this issue. Every morning I have to use my fish net to skim the substance off the water.

Another note is the 4 weeks prior, I had been treating the tank with PraziPro that killed my floating plants and may be the culprit of my issues as well. The water also has an odd smell. Not foul, per se, but odd. My plants do not show new growth either. Ammonia is 0 PPM.

Thoughts?

My guess is a water chemestry imbalance, leading to sometype of bacterial bloom. The medication might have temporarily wrecked the BB. Getting back on your regular water maintenence routine will likely level things out.

Back
Top Bottom