Cloudy new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HerbG5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys, I hope you can help me out. I am a new tank owner. I bought a 65 gallon complete set up from PetSmart. I followed all the instructions to a T in setting up my tank. It was beautiful with crystal clear water. I took in a water sample and it was said perfect by the associate. that until I got my first fish, two Angels. I set the bag in tank allowing them to get acclimated. Then I made the mistake :facepalm:. Instead of dipping the fish and adding them to the tank, I pour the bag in mixing the pet store water with mine. The next morning I woke up to cloudy water. It's been four days now and I've tried everything. I drained 30% of the water, refilled and retreated. I've tried ReadiStart Nitrifying bacteria, water treatments and you name it. There has been very little change:banghead:. I bought a new home test kit. My levels are 7.2 pH, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites as recommended but nitrates level is also 0ppm which the recommendation say low but under 40ppm. It doesn't say none at all. So I'm wondering if this could be causing my clouds and hindering the clearing of the water? If so how do I increase he NITRATE in my tank? Or is there any sound advice you can give me to get my tank back to the crystal clear state? Thanks in advance.

Dr. Tims one and only and Tetra Safe Start are the 2 most trusted bacterial additives.
That said just let your tank run as is until you get to 1 ppm ammonia, then change 50%.
Do the same with nitrites when they show..This could be weeks. Eventually the bacteria will grow..
Here is the site article on fish in cycling ,which is where you are now.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Welcome !

Back
Top Bottom