Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric416

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i went away for a week and when i got back my tank was extremely cloudy. I did a 50% water change before i left because i started to see it was becoming a little cloudy. What is the best way about going about this to clear it up. How large of a water change is it safe to do? its A 55 gallon tank with a small cat, small peacock bass and pleco

I would do another 50 and see where your at since youll be able to watch it more closely now. How are you water parameters?

I would do another 50 and see where your at since youll be able to watch it more closely now. How are you water parameters?

just tested the water, ph was 7.6, ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was between 10 and 20.

sounds like algae. how much/often do you feed? how long are your lights on? is there any direct sunlight hitting the tank? how often do you do gravel vacs and water changes?

there is no signs of algee on the gravel, glass or anywhere in the tank but I feed once a day only a few sinking pellets and some frozen bloodworms. lights are on for 9 hours a day on a timer. I dont have any direct sunlight. i vacuum the gravel about every 2 weeks when i do the water change.

do you have plants? if not, i would cut the light down to 6 hours or less. I would do a couple 50% pwc's over the next day or two and kill the light. Green means algae, even if its not on anything else *yet*

no live plants. ill try what you said. What do you recommend, 1 a day? Is there anything i should ad to the water like an algee destroyer or just add water and it will clear naturally?

dont use chemicals, theyre not good at all. just try the water changes, do a 3-4 day blackout with no light at all, a blanket wrapped around the tank if you have to, just if the water changes dont work

ok ill do that and see how it works. thanks for the help. ill report the results in a few days

Back
Top Bottom