Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdepriest6009

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my tank which has been set up with fish in it since Christmas for some reason is cloudy now I tested my water the other day and it showed like .25 ppm of ammonia and 0 ppm of nitrites and about 20 ppm of nitrates. I did a 20% water change when I first noticed the cloudiness and it helped some. So then a couple of days later I noticed it wasnt getting better but it's not getting worse either so I did a 70% pwc and vacuumed my gravel which also helped some but yet it is still cloudy so I changed my filter and did another 20% pwc the other day and it helped it clear it up some. I plan on doing another pwc today when I get home from work and test my water so I can give you some more info on the parameters then. I was just wondering what could be my problem and what else I can do to get it to clear up. If anyone has any info please help.

I am assuming its a Bacterial bloom, but I could be wrong. Is there any fish in the tank? How many did you add at a time? What are they?

Also, about changing the filter, It is not recommended to. When doing so, you are throwing away beneficial bacteria, which could result in a mini-cycle sometimes.

I would recommend to do A Partial water change everyday do help make the cloudiness go away (Also, If you are going through a mini-cycle, It will help keep the ammonia and nitrite down). Also, this could be resolved when a sufficient amount of bacteria establishes on your biological filter.

Is it a white color, a yellow color, or a green color? These all point to different things...

If it is a milky white color, it is a bacteria bloom. It is normal for newly established tanks like yours. It will run its course in a few days (assuming changing the filter didn't cause a mini cycle). Resist the urge to dump in any of the water clear chemicals. Just test your parameters to make sure there isn't anything out of whack with your N cycle. PWCs won't hurt, but they probably won't help much either until this runs its course.

tyspot1000 said:
I am assuming its a Bacterial bloom, but I could be wrong. Is there any fish in the tank? How many did you add at a time? What are they?

Also, about changing the filter, It is not recommended to. When doing so, you are throwing away beneficial bacteria, which could result in a mini-cycle sometimes.

I would recommend to do A Partial water change everyday do help make the cloudiness go away (Also, If you are going through a mini-cycle, It will help keep the ammonia and nitrite down). Also, this could be resolved when a sufficient amount of bacteria establishes on your biological filter.

I currently have 7 fish in the tank. I have an eclipse catfish, a pangasius catfish, a bala shark, a pleco, and 3 tiger barbs. I have had the two cats since the first time I added fish to the tank and I added the rest about a week and a half ago.

I only changed the carbon filter the tank also has a biowheel filter that has been running for a while I bought the tank used and the it's the bio wheel that was in the tank before which was running for about 5 years so it really isn't new. So what exactly is a mini cycle I have never heard of that one before.

My fish aren't acting any different with the exception of the eclipse but he is just coming out more often due to the fact it's not as bright in the tank with it being so cloudy.

fort384 said:
Is it a white color, a yellow color, or a green color? These all point to different things...

If it is a milky white color, it is a bacteria bloom. It is normal for newly established tanks like yours. It will run its course in a few days (assuming changing the filter didn't cause a mini cycle). Resist the urge to dump in any of the water clear chemicals. Just test your parameters to make sure there isn't anything out of whack with your N cycle. PWCs won't hurt, but they probably won't help much either until this runs its course.

Yes it is a milky white color of a haze. So does it mean that its a bacteria bloom? And if so what do I need to do about it.

Yup. Bacteria. Do a pwc every couple days. Be patient. It will clear up. It looks worse than it is. Pretty much only happens in newer tanks so it won't be a regular occurrence.

I currently have 7 fish in the tank. I have an eclipse catfish, a pangasius catfish, a bala shark, a pleco, and 3 tiger barbs. I have had the two cats since the first time I added fish to the tank and I added the rest about a week and a half ago.

I only changed the carbon filter the tank also has a biowheel filter that has been running for a while I bought the tank used and the it's the bio wheel that was in the tank before which was running for about 5 years so it really isn't new. So what exactly is a mini cycle I have never heard of that one before.

My fish aren't acting any different with the exception of the eclipse but he is just coming out more often due to the fact it's not as bright in the tank with it being so cloudy.

A mini-cycle usually occurs when a filter cartridge is replaced. It brings ammonia and nitrite in the aquarium, just like when It was setup. But the PWC's should bring it back to normal.

Depending on the size of the fish added a week ago and all of them that were added could of also resulted in a Bacterial bloom.

Just a heads up, most of those fish (Except the Tiger barbs) will get too big for your aquarium.

Ok so does a mini cycle happen every time I change the carbon filter?

The new fish aren't very big the tigers are about 3/4 of an inch the shark is about 3-4 inches and the pleco is about 2 inches and the 2 cats my wife bought me for Christmas they are both about 2 in. I hope to have a larger tank before long.

What is the bacteria and what is it about the new fish that caused it? I have never seen it before.

Yeah the Loss of Beneficial bacteria results in the Mini-cycle most times, It can even happen when you change out the gravel for a new substrate. Bacteria thats in your filter feeds off the ammonia and nitrite and produces nitrate.

Do you have a test kit? Did you cycle your tank?

I cycled the tank when I first got it for about 3 weeks. I had the biowheel filter that had been in the tank before I got it along with some gravel and decor items that was all in the tank previously.

Yes I have a test kit. I have the API Master test kit for freshwater and I did a pwc this evening when I got home and about an hour and a half later I tested the water. I had about 2 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrites and 5 ppm of nitrates. When I tested the other day I had 4 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites and 20 ppm of nitrates.

I have an eclipse catfish, a pangasius catfish, a bala shark, a pleco, and 3 tiger barbs.

With the exception of the tiger barbs and possibly the pleco if it's a dwarf variety, every one of those fish will outgrow your tank in a hurry.

Here are the adult sizes of your fish:
Bala shark: 12"
Eclipse cat: 12"-15"
Common pleco: 18"
Pangasius cat: 36"

I hope you have some good homes lined up for these fish in the future.

I cycled the tank when I first got it for about 3 weeks. I had the biowheel filter that had been in the tank before I got it along with some gravel and decor items that was all in the tank previously.

Yes I have a test kit. I have the API Master test kit for freshwater and I did a pwc this evening when I got home and about an hour and a half later I tested the water. I had about 2 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm of nitrites and 5 ppm of nitrates. When I tested the other day I had 4 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites and 20 ppm of nitrates.

That's a ton of ammonia. You need to do more PWCs to get ammonia levels below 0.25ppm. It looks like your biological filter is working, but your fish are putting out more ammonia than it can handle.

That's a ton of ammonia. You need to do more PWCs to get ammonia levels below 0.25ppm. It looks like your biological filter is working, but your fish are putting out more ammonia than it can handle.

I know that it is alot of ammonia. I have been doing PWCs everyday to get it to come down and it has some just not all the way. Is there anything else I can maybe add to the water to help lower the ammonia? If so what?

In my own experience, my tank has gone cloudy when I've done too many "drastic" changes...i.e. changed (outright) any of the media in the filter, changed (outright) the substrate, removed and cleaned (using tap water!) the tank decorations (silk plants, rocks, etc.), to name a few.

I've learned and gotten in the habit of doing PWC's (about 30 L, from a 114 L tank) every 4 to 5 days, vacuuming the gravel each PWC but only one half of the tank each time, cleaning any decorations using the tank water only and when it's time to do something with the filter media, only cleaning the media using the tank water, as well. I believe it was Jim who also suggested I do away with carbon (I now use ceramic rings), don't use aquarium salt, use filter floss (replace only when it's disintegrating) and use Prime for the water from the tap; I continue to follow his advise.

Since making these changes and continuing to follow all of the good advice gleaned from this site, my tank is crystal clear.....it's quite amazing, actually!!

Luanne said:
In my own experience, my tank has gone cloudy when I've done too many "drastic" changes...i.e. changed (outright) any of the media in the filter, changed (outright) the substrate, removed and cleaned (using tap water!) the tank decorations (silk plants, rocks, etc.), to name a few.

I've learned and gotten in the habit of doing PWC's (about 30 L, from a 114 L tank) every 4 to 5 days, vacuuming the gravel each PWC but only one half of the tank each time, cleaning any decorations using the tank water only and when it's time to do something with the filter media, only cleaning the media using the tank water, as well. I believe it was Jim who also suggested I do away with carbon (I now use ceramic rings), don't use aquarium salt, use filter floss (replace only when it's disintegrating) and use Prime for the water from the tap; I continue to follow his advise.

Since making these changes and continuing to follow all of the good advice gleaned from this site, my tank is crystal clear.....it's quite amazing, actually!!

Well I dont really know how to change from a carbon filter cause the tank I have has the filter built into it. Thanks for the info on the info about the PWCs and the cleaning of the tank.

Luanne was referring to the filter media. The cartridge that you are probably using in the built in eclipse filter is the media. After you get that tank through this cycle, you can slowly change over to the type of filter media she is referring to. I do the same thing in my eclipse tanks.

You can start by adding the ceramic rings in a filter bag or old panty hose. Place the rings under the filter cartridge for a few weeks to allow the beneficial bacteria build up. Then discard the filter cartridge and add filter floss or a proper aquarium sponge.

Back
Top Bottom