Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txjess

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm new to aquariums. I have successfully kept betas off and on for several years, and then I was asked to take in 5 guppies from a friend with over active breeders. Love the guppies, or my little beagle fish. I know I am over feeding, and that's changing now. But on to my problem...

I added 2 corys to the 5 happy guppies to round out a 5 gallon tank (established 8 weeks ago) 2 weeks ago. At the time water was slightly cloudy but I thought no big deal. A few days later it was not any better but it was time for a water change so I changed about 40% hoping to clear problem up, based upon Internet research. (I purchase my aquarium water from a small reputable pet store, as my tap water is awful) let's just say that didn't help. I have changed water every few days since then which hasn't helped. Figured out my gravel vac wasn't functioning properly and now that's un plugged. I completed a 30% change with vac last night and things were about the same until I got home today.... Tank is much worse and I'm staring to notice stress on my corys. I'm out of testing equipment and water so I'm headed to the store tomorrow, but what's the deal?

I know I'm not doing a lot of things right, but I'm determined to learn. I want a much larger aquarium in the near future, but I need to figure this one out first!

Help!

Before we can start giving you advice, what are the levels of your nitrite, ammonia and nitrate?

I'm out of testing supplies as BF likes to play with it, will have to get more tomorrow with water etc... Thought maybe algae, but when put into a white cup, water looks to be clear. Just want to make sure I'm thinking of every thing it could possibly be to begin plan to fix asap. I know hands are tied till I can get to the store for water and anything else I may need. (want to avoid unnecessary "quick" fixes)

There is just so much conflicting information. Change a little water, change a lot....

Ok so tank looks a lot better today but still hazy.

Just tested and readings are nitrite 0.2 ppm, ammonia 0.01 mg/L and nitrate 20 ppm. Frankly I was shocked so I tested it again and those are correct.

Guppies seem happy and back to normal, but corys are slightly lethargic if you can say that for a catfish.

Thoughts?

I would just wait and see if this improves. Your nitrite and ammonia levels should really be 0 at all times! The nitrate is getting a little on the high side too. I'm not sure why this is happening. You said you did a water change and still the same. Just wait, if it improves, great. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

Did another 40% water change and filter media change and it's looking even better, still slightly hazy but it was super dirty. Holding off on food for another day or so as well. Did notice while I was vacuuming that I have 4 new guppies. I had suspicions that one of the guppies was a female, but couldn't quite tell, or was in denial... With 4 full grown males and 2 catfish I wonder if they will survive the night.

Levels look a lot better. Ammonia 0 and nitrate and nitrite cut in half.

Hopefully a few more water changes with the new vac will help continue to clear things up.

If you have an established tank, you don't want to change out the filter media unless it's become completely unusable. Most of the beneficial bacteria in your tank resides in the filter media. One recommendation I've seen often is to rinse off the filter media a bit in tank water during a water change, then put it back in the filter.

the more you change the water the more cloudy the water will get that it the benefical bacteria/ algea growing like crazy in your tank the more you take out the more itt will reproduce keep your light off for a few days feed the fish every second day just enough and stop changeing your water for a week and a half your amonia and other paramiters will get slightly higher but befor they are a problem they will gow down again naturaly it is called building up a bio filter... if you still have cloudy water in 2 weeks reply with pictures ill do my best BUT REMEBER TO NOT TURN THE LIGHT ON AT ALL AND COVER ANY SIDES THAT FACE A BRIGHT WINDOW

Back
Top Bottom