Cloudy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowangeltae

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a water change about 3 weeks ago and my tank go very cloudy afterwards. I was using a algae killing chemical for about a week an a half following the water change. I have since quit using it and did another water change a week ago. The tank was pretty clear right after the change, but within a few hours it started getting cloudy again. I have changed my filter cartridges and even cleaned the tubing in my filters and it just keeps getting worse. I check the ammonia and nitrite levels and they are fine. What else could it be? This is an 80 gal tank that I have had for almost a year and this is the 1st time I have had this problem.

What are your exact Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels? What kind of test kit are you using?

I have changed my filter cartridges and even cleaned the tubing in my filters and it just keeps getting worse.
The cloudiness could be caused by over-cleaning. Only rinse the cartridges in used tank water, do not replace until they are falling apart, no matter what the package says. They do not need to be changed at every water change. It just throws away benificial bacteria. If you do replace one, do not clean the rest of the filter. I'm not sure what type of filter you are using, but it should have either a sponge or AC cartridge or bio-wheel or combinations of the three. If it does have more than 1, only clean one at a time. This is a common mistake, overcleaning.

Why were you using the algae remover? Was your water green? To reduce algae in the tank, do more water changes and reduce the amount of light on the tank. It could be that you have increased levels of phosphates that can be remidied with water changes.

It could also be a bacterial bloom. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, it's just that we need some background to your tank to figure out whats going on.

Please post your test levels. Dont use anymore algaecide that stuff is not good for fish or plants as far as I am concerned.

I only just cleaned out the tubing and cartridges last night because it was getting so cloudy. Before the water change 3 weeks ago, it had been at least 2 or 3 months before the last water change. It so cloudy and dark in 2 weeks I did another change a week ago.

How often do you change your water and how much do you change? How long are your lights on every day?

I normally do water changes every 2 months or so. I only change no less than 25%, but no more than 50%. I have a timer set for my light. It's on 12 hours a day.

Reduce the light on your timer to 8 hours (unless you have live plants. In that case, it's a whole different story). Water changes should be done once a week of about 20%. This will definately help your tank. Make sure you do deep gravel vacs to get all of the fish waste out of the gravel. BTW- What type of filter are you using? hob, canister, internal, ugf?

Can you give us the water parameters?

My nitrite and ammonia readings were both 0 ppm. I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand test kit. I don't have a nitrate test kit. I have attached a pic of the tank too. I said earlier that my last water change was a week ago. I was wrong, it was just this past Sunday and this is how cloudy it is already.

Attachments

• cloudy_tank_567.jpg
    cloudy_tank_567.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
I'd say its a bacterial bloom. (BTW- Good choice on the test kit. :D One of the best made.) Get yourself a Nitrate Test Kit and test for that level. The level of Nitrates will determine how often and how much of a water change you should be doing. You may be able to get away with once every two or three weeks.

Are you planning on stocking the tank with more fish in the future?

How do I get rid of the bacteria? It seems to get worse every time I change some of the water.

I do hope to get more fish in the tank eventually. I think I need to take my blue paradise to the LFS and hope that the blue gouramis don't bother what ever else I end up putting in there. I am hoping to move my angel from my 29 to the 80, but not until I get rid of the paradise fish.

Change you water once a week and the water should be ok. Don't completely change out your filter anymore, just rinse the pads in old tank water as Fishy said. I would suggest adding some plants for cover. either real or fake. Angelfish and a lot of other fish will appreciate the cover and the tank will look much nicer.

I agree, more frequent water changes. Also, decrease the amount of light that the tank receives. Set the timers to come on for 8 hours a day for two weeks. At the same time do the weekly water changes of 20 to 25%. If the cloudiness doesn't go away, then you'll have to try a different approach. But it appears that it's a bacterial bloom.

Fishyfanatic said:
Why were you using the algae remover? Was your water green? To reduce algae in the tank, do more water changes and reduce the amount of light on the tank. It could be that you have increased levels of phosphates that can be remidied with water changes.

I never answered these questions. I was using the algae remover because I had green hairs growing from the bottom of my tank. My tank is right next to a sliding glass door. I have covered the glass on the doors with foil and covered the side of the tank that faces the doors to keep the sunlight from sneaking in.

Ahh, too much sunlight. I'd keep shutting off the direct sunlight (and in-direct light). It will cause you to have ALOT of algae if the tank receives direct light. The quick fixes in a bottle (AKA Algae Removers) can sometimes destory your bacteria. Water changes and reduced sunlight will do the same thing, only it will be more perminant and save the bacteria. Increase your water changes to reduce phosphates in the water.

BTW- Do you use buckets for water changes? If so, you may want to consider purchasing a Python. It makes water changes SO easy. One of the reasons why people don't do enough water changes is because they don't like to haul buckets. The Python will suck water from your tank while doing gravel vacs and empty the water into the kitchen sink/garden/wherever you hook the hose to. Then when you want to refill, adjust the temp on the faucet to the same temp as your tank and then refill. It makes water changes very easy and less time consuming. We used to be able to crank out water changes on all of our tanks in about 45 minutes. That included from the start of the draining to putting away the Python. Of course this is when we lived in our old house and actually had water pressure.

As far as plants go. I'm not ready to get into real plants and I have never seen any fake plants that I like. I have some Malaysian driftwood that is soaking right now to try to get some of the color out of it to keep it from making my water even more discolored. In another week or so, I'll probably add them. I'm always on the lookout for real looking fake plants. Know of any brands that put some nice ones out?

When it comes to fake plants, IMO all brands are pretty much the same. I tend to get the ones at PetsMart or whichever ones are on sale at my lfs. :) Live plants will help control your algae, but if you're not ready for them, then there would be no reason to start. Plants are one of those things that you have to want to do it to do it.

Good choice on the driftwood. I have a piece in my 55 gal tank. The natural dark coloration looks very nice. A good tip: Every day scrub the driftwood with a dish scrubber (never used of course) in water. It will help get rid of some of the tannins faster. I noticed that when I scrubbed the piece down, the water was always pretty dark. Then the tannins did not show up again in the bucket for at least another 4 or 5 hours. You may not ever be able to release all of the tannins, but at least the driftwood will actually sink.

Back
Top Bottom