Cloudy Tank affecting my Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 55g planted tank was doing fine, had some algae, was using Excel, then started injecting DIY Co2, 5 days later my tank is cloudy during the day, clears up at night, clear in the morning, then cloudy as all heck by the end of the photoperiod. I have 2 ac70 filters. And during last weeks PWC I turned one of them back on and it just shot out all this cloudy water and fogged my tank. What is happening?!

Parameters:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 40 ppm, I dose nitrogen.

I water change 50-75% every tuesday, and condition with prime.

I forgot to mention after that water change when I discovered the filter was shooting all the cloudy substance into my tank, the next morning one of my Oto's were dead. They were fine until this. My Oto's were healthy and Hardy.

I'm not an expert, but reading your story I have a few questions.

what kind of DIY CO2 are you using? if it's sugar and yeast are you using a bubble counter or similar device to prevent contamination of your system?

what colour is the cloudiness?

Thank you! Finally a reply. The cloudiness is greyish, I have a Check Valve on the Yeast/Sugar DIY CO2, none has leaked out of the canister that it's in.

How old is the tank? Sounds kinda like a bacterial bloom, which I've read can usually happen anytime in the first 6 months of the tank, but that shouldn't have harmed the fish I don't think.

It's about 4 months old now, I'm pretty sure it's been cycled. It's weird how it just decided to get cloudy out of nowhere. Only one fish died from it. My parameters have been constantly

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
nitrate - 20/40 depending on if I dose nitrogen for my plants. They eat it up fast.

Well I haven't gone through a bacterial bloom myself, so it hard for me to advise you on it specifically, but from what I understand it's something seperate from the bacteria in the nitrogen cycle, and most tanks will go through it in the first 6 months after set-up.

A PWC never hurts to treat cloudiness.

What kind of food are you feeding the fish? Some types of cheap fish foods can cloud water. Too much of any food can also cause problems.

Are you sure it is cloudy or just particles floating around? You could try some polyfiber to polish that water a little more and see if that helps. What are you using as far as ferts are concerned? Dry or Seachem?

Back
Top Bottom