Cloudy Tank after a PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoyFunWow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am doing PWCs (about 15%) every weekend on my very newly cycled 10 gallon tanks. For about two days after, the water becomes cloudy. The new water I add is aged and treated.. what could be the problem here? Thanks for any advice..

Hi. Welcome to AA.

I have few questions:

How long have you had your tank? Have you cycled it properly? When you said "very newly cycled tank", how new? I am asking because properly cycled tank will have the levels: Ammonia=0ppm, Nitrite=0ppm, and Nitrate = 5-40ppm. And you can normally get this levels at the end of the cycle which is around 4 weeks.

Do you have a Master kit? If you don't, get one as soon as you can. API Freshwater Master kit is my favorite, better and accurate readings than the strips.

My bet is, you just had an ammonia bloom. It is quite normal when you are first cycling your tank. It will clear away after a few days. But do check the levels of the ammonia. Levels are important when you are cycling. That is, assuming, if you are really not done with cycling.

Hi thanks for the reply! My tank is 4 weeks old with not many fish. The ammonia and nitrites are both at 0ppm. The nitrates I haven't tested. I will look into the test kit you have recommended. Thanks!

I'm guessing a bacteria bloom is what is making it cloudy. Have some patience and it will reward you with stability.

If your ammonia and nitrites remain zero, I'll agree that the tank is cycled. A greater than zero nitrate would confirm it.

There are three possibilities that I can think of:

1. It's just very small bubbles. Nothing to worry about.

2. If the cloudiness is white, (Put some cloudy water in a clear glass and hold it against white paper to check.) it's a bacteria bloom. If you're on well water, there may be something in the water that the bacteria like and bloom for a few days while they eat up that nutrient.

3. If the cloudiness is green, it's an algae bloom. This could happen the same way the bacteria bloom would happen.

There's really no need to age the water. A good dechlorinator takes care of it. I dump dechlorinator into my tanks, then refill straight from the tap.

The bloom is definitely white, so I'll just wait it out. It doesn't seem to be bothering the fish. Thanks very much for the advice! Great forum!

Back
Top Bottom