Cloudy tank...I did a PWC, but the cloudiness came back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
Nitrate ppm (mg/l): 20

Nitrite ppm (mg/l): .5

Hardness ppm:150

Total Alkalinity (KH) ppm : 0

pH:6.2

I'm using one of those 5 tests on one strip if that matters any

As I said I did a PWC, and the cloudiness was gone for a day or two, and then it came back.
My fish are fine, and I don't think the flakes are making it cloudy b/c it got cloudy overnight.

And two weeks ago it was absolutely clear. (well not absolutely but it was much clearer than this.)

I plan to wash the gravel this weekend by moving the fish to another container. Then I'll sift the gravel and use a water vaccuum to suck up the dirty water. But still...what gives?

ehhh test strips aren't very accurate, heres why, since the strip is constantly being exposed to air by opening the container they get moisture on them and it activates the reagent, which makes the test inaccurate, plus they can expire, most havea expiration date on the bottom of the bottle, your cloudinees is prolly due to low water quality coming from your tap, test your tap water and see what it is, plus you need to get aphosphate test klit so you can see what level your at with that, I recoomend the AP test kits although the nitrate test kit is hard to read in the higher numbers, but if its that high you should do a water change anywyas

What color is the cloudiness? How long as the tank been setup? It is not cycled yet so it could be part of New Tank Syndrom.

do not wash your gravel. leave it alone. the milky clouds are autotrophic bacteria that comes from your decorations that may have not got rinsed good enough before you put them in. you can do a couple more water changes or wait four days and it will probably go away on its own.

if your not cycled, leave your substrate alone, you dont want to disturb the good bacteria or wash them away.

good luck, keep us in the loop

It's been set up for a month and half.

And as i said before, It was pretty clear before, and i've been putting in spring water instead of tap water.

the spring water is the water that i use to drink...we drive up to an actual spring every other two weeks or so to get it------------->http://www.funsprings.us/spoutn-spring.html

That might be why now that I look at it....hmmm

It's kind of white colored cloud if anything...it doesn't really ahve a distinct color.

and it should be cycled by now since i've had it for a month and half...

I recoomend the AP test kits although the nitrate test kit is hard to read in the higher numbers, but if its that high you should do a water change anywyas

My dad won't let me get those expensive test kits b/c all of my fish are like 1-2 bucks and it would be a waste of money.
But they can't be that inaccurate can they?

Yes, the strips can be VERY inaccurate. The master test kits are not expensive compared to the strips. I figured this a few months ago and I think the strips are something like 70 cents per test. The liquid reagent kits are approximately 2 cents per test. If you buy it online it is much cheaper. Or, go to www.petsmart.com and look for the AP kit. Print out the price sheet and take it in to the store. They will price match it. $15 for 700 tests.

Oh wow. I saw at petsmart that the test kits were like 27 bucks a pop o_O.

But i'm looking at the site and a master kit it's up for only 3 bucks...

I'm confused :?

--edit

Nevermind. Thats for one kind of test.

keep doing pwcs and it will clear up, also keep changing water regularly because you may not be cycled because of the gravel vacing. save up for the mtc its worth it, especially if you have to buy new fish if they die

Looking at your results, with having nitrite and a low ph, looks like you could end up in a disaster if you aren't careful. As the others have stated, PWC's are extremely important right now. What is your ph out of your tap?

If the total alkalinity is in fact 0, the water has no buffering capacity, which explains the low pH. I suspect that that reading is incorrect, if you are adding springwater.

Back
Top Bottom