Cloudy tank, need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Totter760

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!
I just cleaned my Jebo 828 filter, but I think I may have made a mistake cuz the tank looks cloudy like its re cycling again. I cleaned all the filters inside and replaced the carbon the only thing I didn't do was rinse the rings. But here is where I think I may have made a mistake I added new untreated water to the filter. Did I kill all the good bacteria?

This ALWAYS happens to my tank right after I clean it...it's so frustrating!! A lot of the times, I just wait, and over a period of about 5 days, the tank is a bit clearer. But lately, I've begun using APIs Accu-Clear, it works very quickly and leaves my tank looking crystal clear! I know a lot of people on here say not to use chemicals in your tank unless you absolutely have to, but this stuff works so well, and it doesn't appear to have any negative side effects, so I would recommend giving it a shot if I were you...

Thanks! Do you have any idea if putting untreated water in the filter will cause all the good bacteria to die, and recycle the tank like a new setup?

If all you did was clean the filters and not replace them then you should be fine. The good bacteria not only lives in the filter but also on the decor, on the glass, in the substrate, and in the water. I wouldn't think that your tank would be going into another cycle, probably just the dirty water that stays in the bottom of the filter while it's running came out of the wells when you removed everything. And if it's that then it should all settle down within 24 hours.

Cecil2010 said:
If all you did was clean the filters and not replace them then you should be fine. The good bacteria not only lives in the filter but also on the decor, on the glass, in the substrate, and in the water. I wouldn't think that your tank would be going into another cycle, probably just the dirty water that stays in the bottom of the filter while it's running came out of the wells when you removed everything. And if it's that then it should all settle down within 24 hours.

And if it stays cloudy for longer then you could always get a test kit to be sure and most lfs will test your water for free

Totter760 said:
Thanks! Do you have any idea if putting untreated water in the filter will cause all the good bacteria to die, and recycle the tank like a new setup?

Not sure what type of filter that is, but if it's a canister and you filled it up with untreated water instead of connecting it to the tank and opening the valves to let tank water fill it you could have killed a lot if your biofilter, damage would depend how long the untreated water was in there before you turned your filter back on. Make sure you add a water treatment to the tank.

Totter760 said:

Chlorine kills bb!

Yeah I think that is exactly what I did. Didn't even think about turning the valves and dropping the tank water into the filter. I know now how to do it! Thanks so much. Just learning new things everyday! Lol. Anyways so I don't want to put any chemicals in the tank if I don't have to. Its been really cloudy for like 3 days any suggestions?

Nearly done the same thing myself the first time I cleaned my Eheim canister. If you didn't treat the water it could still be actively working in the tank killing the good bacteria in your substrate and on decorations, as for the cloudiness water changes, water changes.

I always use a siphon and fill the canister to the top basket then follow the normal procedures for priming the filter. As stated everything has BB in it so I wouldn't have thought it would cause a mini cycle but I guess it's possible.

How often should I do water changes. It's a 50hal tank. Would 5 gal everyday be to much? And what's your thoughts on a bio boost?

Cecil2010 said:

If your filter cartridge is practically falling apart, and you change it will the tank cycle stop??

Pmcgoldie said:
If your filter cartridge is practically falling apart, and you change it will the tank cycle stop??

Well I don't have much experience with the canister filters I must have missed that part. But with HOB filters if you have 2 you can change one of them as needed and if it's a smaller one cartridge then the best way is to change it and let the old one float on top of the water for the rest of the day

How often should I do water changes. It's a 50hal tank. Would 5 gal everyday be to much? And what's your thoughts on a bio boost?

You might be better doing two 15g or 20g a week rather than 5g a day.
Bio boost products are a area that splits people, some love them some wouldn't waste there time with them. Personally I use Prodibio bio-kit fresh, and found my water to be crystal clear, algae takes longer to form and my plants love it. It consists of 3 different types of product in one kit, never tried anything else and only use it because I won it in a photo of the month competition, but have been impressed so I might continue specifically for my plants.

Freshwater aquarium maintenance | water quality bacteria clean water | prodibio.com

You will loose the majority of your cycle, you would be better to cut the old cartridge in half replace with half a new one, then 2-3 weeks later replace the other old half with the remaining new half, that way you give your bacteria time to colonise the new sponge.
Minimum you should be keeping the old sponge in the tank for a weeks to help colonise the new one, but personally I would do the cutting option - works in my Eheim 2010 pick up.

Ok so this is a pic of my levels. And the cloudiness of my tank, ugh it looks horrible. It seems to be taking so long to look good again.

Attachments

• image-2933572058.jpg
    image-2933572058.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2487693653.jpg
    image-2487693653.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 61
Totter760 said:
Ok so this is a pic of my levels. And the cloudiness of my tank, ugh it looks horrible. It seems to be taking so long to look good again.

Hi! I don't know if this would contribute to your cloudy water, but your nitrates are looking incredibly high! I'm pretty sure that doing a 50% water change would help, somebody on here told me that the ideal level is below 10 ppm and preferably 0 ppm :)

Thanks! I think I may have figured it out! My water had turned a green. I have been fighting off algae, so I took out about 20 gal and added some algae fix it has cleared up so much already! Thanks everyone for all your help!

Is your tank in any direct sunlight throughout the day or are you using a bulb rated for UVA/UVB or for planted tanks. If so that might be what caused your algae outbreak

Back
Top Bottom