cloudy tank wont go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been cloudy for a few weeks now. when it first showed up, i did a water change. a few days later, this didn't help, so i changed the filters. this still did not help, maybe a week after that, i cleaned the tank again.

at first i thought it was a switch of food i had, but it doesn't seem to be. it is kindda whitish, but seems a little greenish. never the less, it has the fish acting weird.

i tried leaving the lights off for a few days, didn't help. i checked the chemicals, and only my nitrates are high, but i'm afraid all the tank cleaning and filter changes is going to send this tank into a major cycle or something? even if it did cycle, it should have been done by now i would think. hasn't shown any signs of improvment.

I've been trying biological filter boost, and the water treatment chemical for removing clorines and stuff. everything seems normal, except the cloudiness.

should i try to clean it again, or is there somehting beter i can do for it?

oops, forgot to add one the important parts. I've noticed a growth of some kind of algae all ofver everything. its like small light green spots, 1mm. they are all over the plants, glass, and decor. but mostly only in the bright spots of the lighting.

the only thing i could think is i started feeding the fish the Tetra Crisps. But I've stopped for a week now, and it isn't helping. the only other thing i did, was clean it. right before it started this. sometimes i don't do really regular tank cleanings, so it might have been 2 weeks since the last cleaing before that.

40 Watts over 55 Gallons. it is sort of a new light fixture, about 4-5-6 weeks before this outbreak.

also, it's a single flouresent, with a reflective sheild behind the bulb.

my levels:
nitrates - 60ppm
nitrites - 0ppm
hardness - 75
alkalinity - 80
pH - 6.8
amonia - 0ppm

I forgot i had the amonia test kit, havent used it in a while. no cause for concern, no testing gets done, he he. oops. ahh, it takes so long for results, the kit says 5 minutes, so i'm waiting now... waiting... waiting... waiting... i think it's going to be 0ppm, but i'll keep waiting. yay, done waiting!

it usually doesn't see direct light, only like once in a blue moon when my parents think it will be a good idea to open my mini blinds when the sun is beating down on the house at 3pm, and it's over 100* outside.

my only concern for cleaning for the nitrates is i dont want to send it into a cycle. i live in perpetual fear of this!

it's a whisper 30-60 HOB and it's still pumping quite well. i use the whisper biobags for replacement filters. i was using the half blue half white ones, (got free samples) until this happeneds, and i thought i should change the filters.

yes, both. there are two.

it did cross my mind once that replacing one at a time would be a beter idea. but i didnt know

my levels:
nitrates - 60ppm
nitrites - 0ppm maybe a little higher like .2, but i dont think so, its hard to read the test
hardness - 75
alkalinity - 80
pH - 6.8
amonia - 0ppm

thanks for helping me!!!

I think you had a mini cycle. Change 20% of your water once a day for the next few days. Your levels should come back to normal and your water will clear up. Don't change your filter pads rinse them in old tank water when you do a water change and use them till they fall apart. They are were your bacteria colonies live.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom