Cloudy Water 0 - Me 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well everyone, the tank blackout worked to absolute perfection!

I was so nervous that I was going to loose fish during the process, or somehow I was going to mess up and let a little light in, but noo sirry.

I uncovered it this afternoon after 3 days under 4 layers of blanket, and was amazed how clear the water is now. It even got CLEARER after I did a 50% water change.

Not one fishy death either =p

I'd suggest everyone who is having a problem with cloudy/green/place color here/ water should give this a shot. I know it sucks not to be able to see your fish for 3-4 days, but when you uncover it, you'll know it was worth it.

Thanks to everyone who kept me from adding chemicals and directed me in the blackout direction!

Thats great to hear shaunakadub! When all else fails the blackout method is a great option. Thankfully I've never had to do it but I've read alot of success stories from members who have.

Glad to hear of your success with this method! I've got a tank that is getting VERY cloudy. New setup, cycled with a shrimp. Put 4 Cory Cats and 2 Otos in there last weekend. The Oto's have done a great job with the Brown Algae (diatoms) but it is getting more and more cloudy by the day... Wondering if I should give the blackout method a shot or if I should wait and see what happens.

Thoughts? Tank also has 2 big rocks and 3 plants in it... 1 Anubias, and 2 Crypts.

TIA!

From my results I'd say go for it.

But, How new is your tank? I've heard oto's are tough to acclimate to new tanks, so you might want to keep an eye on them for a week or 2 more to make sure they're ok, then do a blackout.

Just remember, do not peek under the blanket. Its tough not to, but its worth it in the end.

I have also used the blackout to kill blue-green algae and it works like a charm.

I did a big water change before the blackout and kept it covered for 3 days and 4 nights.

shaunakadub said:
From my results I'd say go for it.

But, How new is your tank? I've heard oto's are tough to acclimate to new tanks, so you might want to keep an eye on them for a week or 2 more to make sure they're ok, then do a blackout.

Just remember, do not peek under the blanket. Its tough not to, but its worth it in the end.

Oh man, my Oto's went to town on the brown gunk (diatoms) They're feasting like kings (and making mad amounts of poop too). They went right at it when I put them in there... Have had no issues. Everyone in the tank seems very happy and healthy...

Blackouts should be done as a last resort. It is common in new tanks to experience cloudiness. It is most likely an algae bloom. Over time it will go away on its own.

Fishyfanatic said:
Blackouts should be done as a last resort.
110% agreement with this statment.

I would suspect a nitifiying bacteria plume with a un-mature tank though.
It goes away with the completion of the nitrogen cycle assuming proper routine maintance and stocking practices are performed.

Given that info I'll continue to wait it out. Frustrating to not be able to see my new friends when they are at the back of the tank. :( Oh well... Patience is a virtue, huh?

Yes, wait it out. It is common for it to last a few days or a few weeks. And all of a sudden one day it will be gone.

Fishyfanatic said:
And all of a sudden one day it will be gone.

IME right after this problem the water is shockingly clear.. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results of just waiting it out :p

That is true. We had a cloudy issue with the 10 gal tank and I went out of town for 2 days. When I came home it looked like the tank didn't have water in it the water was so clear.

Back
Top Bottom