Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I setup my tank 2 weeks ago after taking everything from my 20 gallon and shifting it to my 29 gallon. The tank mini-cycles and was ready 1 week ago for my fish, a puffer and a Columbian shark. I have an Emperor 280 and a 20 W actinic bulb. I also have a piece of driftwood that I boiled for about 5 hrs b4 dropping in the tank. I was feeding the fish 2x a day until a couple of days ago when I noticed the cloudy water.

What do you guys think? My guess is it's just the driftwood...

What color is it? White is usually a bacterial bloom, green is usually algae. Driftwood will cause a yellowy tint as I think you know.

First thing I would do is test for ammonia and nitrite. If those are zero then I would know it had something to do with the driftwood, which could have had some particles of something in it. Probably in either case small water changes every day or every other day is the solution.

as you may know, algae needs light and minerals to grow. Since you can't put any new fish (I was thinking algae eaters) coz they might die, best is to shut out the light and minerals. YOu can wrap a piece of blanket or something around the tank, and not use the lights (fish won't be bothered). Another tactic I find with algae is using plants, particularly floating java moss and bunch colombo, they compete with algae for the minerals.

Probably in either case small water changes every day or every other day is the solution
Yes, this is what I was also going to suggest but forgot. If you can handle it, do atleast 40% a day. Make sure your water has conditioner tha removes iron and phosphate in addition to chlorine.

I use RO/DI water....so... no nothing in it... I add marine salt and stress coat.... I am thinking of getting the java moss....

Phosphate is causing the cloudiness (assume since there is no pic). You can get ride of it by changing patial;y the water or put phosphate binding chemical into your tank. but pls use lower then the recommend dosage as most fish are Very sensitive to the binding agent .

There's no Phosphates in my water. I've been through this before and that's why I use RO/DI water ... I'm prone to believe its bacterial or driftwood related...

Yeah, there should be no phosphates if you are using RO/DI and not mixing with tap; I believe the same goes for silicates (which can also feed an algae bloom). How long do you have the lights on? And does the tank get any sunlight at all? If its green its def algae. Its possible the driftwood is somehow giving off nutrients that are feeding the algae (I know your doing an awesome job on feeding and gravel changes and I doubt its that).

Well I picked up two bunches of java fern and ttached it to my driftwood...I also boutgh ALGONE...let's see what happens

The ALGONE must have worked because the tank is almost clear today. The Java fern are doing fine so far and I even purchased a Mono Argenteus (yellow fin) on Monday.... She refused food for two days, now, she eats like a pig

Back
Top Bottom